Top Ten Neglectful Parents in Kids Movies

“Behind every great adventure is an inattentive parent”

10. The Lion King (1994)

Okay, so I concede that Mufasa was a hero. But perhaps in our zealous lauding of his final act, we fail to see the bigger picture. What was Simba doing out and about on his own? He is the sole heir to the throne and as such, there are bound to be enemies lurking, not to mention a scheming bitter uncle who mutters out loud about his planned ascent to the throne (yes, Mufasa sent Zazu to accompany Simba but on the African plains, he has about as much a chance of warding off danger as a small, rather angry beetle).

9. Frozen (2013)

Elsa’s parents couldn’t see past their fear to allow her to explore her gift. Imprisoned within the confines of the castle walls, she learns to live in shame and fear. If only they could have supported her. Maybe then she could have simply “Let It Go”.

8. The Rugrats Movie (1998)

Stu blames Grandpa Lou for falling asleep. Grandpa Lou blames Stu for getting distracted. Whatever the case may be, the Rugrats are left unattended. Living up to their reputation for industriousness, the crew set off on an adventure – breaking free from the house, they become entangled in a perilous journey involving devious monkeys and a blood-thirsty wolf. With the right amount of nonchalant parental supervision, there isn’t a baby gate that can’t be climbed over for this troupe of toddlers.

7. Home Alone (1990-2012)

They forgot their son existed. They forgot their son existed five times.

6. The Simpsons Movie (2007)

Granted, it made for a cracker sequence on screen but daring your son to skateboard through town in the nip is arguably a bad parenting technique.

5. Matilda (1996)

That girl is far too young to be making pancakes on her own.

4. All Adopted Guardians Ever Represented In Children’s’ Films Ever.

A Series of Unfortunate Events, Harry Potter, James and the Giant Peach. All in all, it doesn’t bode well to be adopted in cinema. (Notable exceptions include Annie and Despicable Me).

3. Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams (2002)

Gregorio and Ingrid Cortez may have bequeathed upon their children the coolest treehouse that has ever graced the silver screen but there can be no justifying their casual attitude towards live ammunition.

2. Snow White (1937)

Back in the day, Disney weren’t concerned about showing villains to be complex characters with misunderstood sob-stories. Villains used to embody the platonic ideal of evil. Snow White’s step-mother, for example, is so full of concentrated nightmare-inspiring evil that with the utterance of a few words from an old magic mirror, she morphs from an inconsiderate guardian into a demonic murderer.

1. Star Wars (1977-1983)

“Luke, I am your father.” *zhoom zhoom light saber noises zhoom zhoom*