TOP 10 – Movie Costumes

o-two Fashion Editor Kieran Murphy turns an expert eye on iconic movie couture.

10. Olivia Newton-John – Sandy in Grease
With jeggings before they existed and the death of Sandy the priss, this sexy costume brought Sandy full circle.

9. Liza Minnelli – Sally Bowles in Cabaret
Sally’s wide eyes, extravagant eyelashes and bowler hat, teamed with her androgynous shorts and waistcoat combo, has become an iconic screen look.

8. Hugo Weaving – V in V for Vendetta
V’s Guy Fawkes mask shows that a simple costume can speak volumes, and has become an icon for protest outside of the film.

7. Tim Curry – Dr. Frank-N-Furter in The Rocky Horror Picture Show
This costume was a result of two years of do-it-yourself outfits and make-up, resulting in Curry’s deranged yet perfect mad scientist.

6. Carrie Fisher – Princess Leia in Star Wars: A New Hope
Princess Leia’s affectionately dubbed “Cinnamon Bun” hairstyle has proved a favourite for Hallowe’en and a headache for hairdressers.

5. Marilyn Monroe – the Girl in The Seven Year Itch
The combination of an open vent and Monroe’s simple white halter neck dress became one of the most iconic symbols of 1950s cinema and cemented her status as a sex symbol.

4. Johnny Depp – Edward in Edward Scissorhands
Out of all the Johnny Depp and Tim Burton films to choose from, Edward Scissorhands is the most noteworthy for the designer’s ability to use biker boots and goth inspired costumes and still retain Edward’s fragility.

3. Bruce Lee – Hai Tien in A Game of Death
This yellow and black tracksuit became an iconic symbol for Bruce Lee and has been paid homage to countless times, most notably in Quentin Tarantino’s Kill Bill, Vol. 1.

2. Heath Ledger – the Joker in The Dark Knight
A slightly grungier and dirtier Joker sporting a Glasgow smile brought a chilling and disturbing element to a once comical character.

1. Audrey Hepburn – Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s
This will remain one of the most potent fashion moments in movie history. The little black dress by Givenchy, for their muse Audrey Hepburn, defined her style for the rest of her career.