Top 10 Escapes

10. The Dark Knight Rises

While Batman isn’t known for escapology, there were a few worthy escapes in this movie. Most of Gotham’s security forces escape from underground, meanwhile Batman escapes first from prison with that haunting theme song playing in the background, and finally from a fiery hell-death of nuclear proportions.

9. Skyfall

James Bond? Check. Ruthless, evil-genius baddy? Check. A thoroughly confounding escape plot that, no matter how many times you run through it, doesn’t make sense? Check.

8. Ocean’s 11

In the original 1960’s movie, the Rat Pack front a gang of thieves who plan to rob five different casinos. They blow up a transmission tower while everyone sings Auld Lang Syne, then get their money all while being the epitome of cool, calm and collected. They don’t even leave the scene of their crime until the lights come back on.

7. V for Vendetta

In a dystopian future a genetically engineered super human escapes from a high-level security prison. After years of hiding, he embarks on one of the greatest revenge plots in cinema history. No clue is given in the title.

6. The First Great Train Robbery

James Bond and President Snow from The Hunger Games team up to steal a large shipment of gold in 1854 during the Crimean War. Bond being a master thief and a member of high society plans it all out, breaking one of their acquaintances out of prison to help them.

5. The Silence of the Lambs

This is the most violent escape scene on our list. Basically, Lecter goes full-on homicidal on his guards, with some classical music playing in the background. Lovely.

4. Inside Man

So Clive Owen wants to rob a bank. Okay, let’s get him in so we can steal loads of stuff and a document that’s worth a fortune. How is he going to get out? Simple, we leave him in there.

3. Chicken Run

Arguably the film of a generation, this had it all. There were so many hilarious ideas it was impossible not to laugh. The basic escape plan was to get the chickens to fly over the fence, which seems like it couldn’t be simpler. Now I don’t know if this is true, and I know that Ag Science people aren’t the best to ask about these things, but chickens can’t fly.

2. The Great Escape

It’s the Second World War and a repeat offender gets a whole dorm of prisoners to try to escape. Let’s be honest, you’ve probably never seen it, but can still whistle the theme tune to an impeccable standard.

1. The Shawshank Redemption

One of the best films ever made, featuring Andy Dufrense, the man who crawled through a river of poop and came out clean on the other side. An inspiring film that proves that in some escapes, a place to live and be happy is at the end of the tunnel.