To Glee or not to Glee?

Natalie Voorheis really wants to sing the praises of UCD Musical Society’s production of Glee

The popularity of the TV Show Glee makes it a tough act to follow, but UCD Musical Society gave it a go. The 23 songs performed by the rookie troupe showcased some wonderful vocal talent of uniformly high standards, with solid performances in particular delivered by Robyn Sadlier, Sisi Rabenstein and Eoghan McNeill.

Emily Carroll, who sang ‘I’m Telling You I’m Not Going’ delivered an exceptional performance, receiving a standing ovation from many audience members who fell into a hush as, bathed in soft lighting, she gently began the first strains of the song. From this first moment of magic, Carroll had every member of the auditorium in the palm of her hand; revealing more and more of her extraordinary talent as the song ascended, never shouting or forcing her vocals but staying measured and intent, while delivering a full-bodied, powerful performance so necessary to the success of such a song.

Unfortunately the dance numbers did not deliver the same caliber, with some otherwise enjoyable numbers suffering from unpracticed dancers who failed to deliver on the simplest of choreography. This was particularly noticeable in instances where backing singers failed to execute simple arm movements with the vaguest semblance of unison.

Three numbers did deliver in the dance department, however, and credit must be given for the fiery and enthusiastic performances of ‘Bust Your Window’, ‘Single Ladies’ and ‘It’s My Life/Confessions’ which showcased strong choreography and a high level of performance. The girls and guys in these three songs shook their booty like no booty has ever been shook before, and were a real asset to the night.

This production suffered somewhat from a weak rendition of the elements which make the show itself so enjoyable: one skit featured a glass of water being poured on a girl in a raincoat. I suppose this was supposed to be a re-enactment of the engaging ‘slushie facial’, but as the sprinkle of water was wiped from the floor, I had to cringe.

Glee proved to be a production featuring a number of tremendous high notes, a wonderful way for the first session of the UCD Musical Society to draw to a close. However, one cannot ignore the brief moments that let it down. These small slip-ups will, no doubt, be ironed out as the society begins to grow and evolve, though, and one can’t but feel a sense of anticipation for future productions from the Musical Society.