Thor: The Dark World Review

Director: Alan Taylor
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston and Natalie Portman, Christopher Ecclestone
Release Date: Out Now

Help! The Dark Elves are attempting to revert the universe to darkness. Thor: The Dark World is not a movie to be taken too seriously. The film throws itself headlong into the Asgardian myth with little to no regard for the viewer’s belief in such a world.

Although this may seem like a bad idea, it is actually the films’ greatest strength. By completely disregarding reality and the constraints it provides and engaging fully with the mythical nature of the Norse Gods, the film gains credibility.

From the off, this film is a different beast to Thor, or even The Avengers. The storyline follows the attempts of Malekith (Christopher Ecclestone) to revert the universe to the darkness that came before. Questions on this matter are best left at the door.

A large part of this movie requires that the viewer leaves reality behind and follows the film into the Asgardian viewpoint, jumping into the swashbuckling mayhem with naught but a care in the world and a flagon in hand.

Whilst Thor divided its time between Asgard and Earth, this time the characters are continuously flitting between all nine realms, occasionally making it difficult to keep up with what is actually going on in the story. Some viewers may find that, unless they have at least a basic knowledge of Norse mythology, a lot of the film will be almost incomprehensible.

This is counteracted by the fact that the viewer is taken on an emotional rollercoaster. Whether it is the romance between Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) and Thor (Chris Hemsworth), the losses suffered by some central characters, the hilarity of the Stonehenge incident or the plight of Loki (Tom Hiddleston), viewers will constantly be torn between laughter and tears.

Comic relief is frequent and well-timed throughout the film, usually coming from the less important characters in timely and well dispersed intermittences. A scene with a ranting Loki is bound to split the sides of any viewer.

This ten minute stream of sarcasm, Marvel Universe references and buffoonery encapsulate the character of Loki completely. Proving that mischief is his nature and he can never truly be trusted, no matter how much the audience believes they can.

A full-blown bells and whistles affair from start to finish, this film never pretends to be something it isn’t. It takes a mythological tale and crafts it into an explosive and visually appealing piece of entertainment, the modern day incarnation of Viking stories around a campfire. This was how the Norse myths were meant to be enjoyed, with a sense of wonder and disbelief.

In a Nutshell: Nine whole realms of exposition can’t stop this blistering blockbuster, filled to the brim with trademark charm.