Theatre Review: The Rocky Horror Show

For all its chutzpah, The Rocky Horror Show lacks a certain spark, writes Kieran Murphy

The Rocky Horror Show took place in the Grand Canal Theatre, thrusting itself across the Dublin stage just in time for Halloween. The musical is narrated by Christopher Biggins, who we best know from Im a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here, and who had a role in the movie as one of the Transylvanians.

The musical tells the story of Brad and Janet, a newly engaged couple whose car breaks down in the middle of night. They turn to a castle for refuge only to discover a bunch of Transylvanians dancing to the ‘Time Warp’ and Dr. Frank-N-Furter – a transvestite scientist whose ambition is to build himself the perfect man.

With a host of support characters such as Riff Raff, Magenta, Columbia and the newly formed Rocky, and songs such as ‘Touch-a, Touch-a, Touch-a, Touch Me,’ it’s a two-hour spectacular that’s sure to make you blush.

From the beginning to the end of The Rocky Horror Show, obscurity and obscenity permeates the stage. It features David Bordello as Dr. Frank-N-Furter (who has previously worked on Jesus Christ Superstar and West Side Story) and Bordello’s experience really shows when he belts out the classic ‘Sweet Transvestite’.

Having never seen the movie or musical, I had no idea what to expect, but I soon learned that I was a ‘Rocky Horror virgin’. You’d forgive me for thinking the people shouting behind me were just being obnoxious, but I soon later found out that The Rocky Horror Show is all about partici-(SAY IT)-pation. During certain productions, items such as toast (non-buttered), rice and decks of cards are thrown at the stage, while the lovebirds of the show, Brad and Janet, are kindly referred to as ‘Asshole’ and ‘Slut’ throughout.

For a ‘Rocky Horror virgin’, the Grand Canal Theatre was an impressive place for a first time viewing of the show, but I can’t help but feel that I would have enjoyed the grand stage production of the show more if I had even seen the film at least once. In regards to the musical itself, it’s certainly there to shock and awe people. However, it must be said that the few in the audience who knew all the dances and the responses stole the show from the actors and actresses on stage.