Preview – Sky Road TV & Film Festival

Aaron Murphy takes a look at this weekend’s much-anticipated Sky Road TV & Film Festival and profiles the event’s must-see films

Taking place at the Station House Hotel in Clifden, Co. Galway between the 5th and 7th of September, the Sky Road TV & Film Festival hosts a selection of Irish works. These will include films, short films, documentaries, and workshops with some of Ireland’s best known journalists, actors and cinematographers. The event is being run in association with TG4 and hopes to offer a platform for Irish filmmakers to have their works seen and appreciated by larger, and more varied, audiences.

A quick scan of the event reveals Otwo‘s must-see list for this weekend:

A Nightingale Falling will be screened this evening. It’s a period feature-length drama about the lives of two sisters who care for a wounded soldier during the War of Independence. This movie officially premieres on September 12th and we at Otwo have had our eye on it for quite some time. 

Perfect Wife, Perfect Life. This short film (also screening this evening) looks at a man whose life is spent pursuing the ideal of a “perfect life”. When he finally finds his “perfect wife”, she becomes just another item to him. The subject of looking at our lives as a list of our own achievements, and therefore a reflection of our worth, can be a lot of fun to explore and we have high hopes for this particular short film.

To Tell You The Truth is the documentary that looks at comedian Tommy Tiernan and his latest tour and how he constantly challenges himself to be better. This will screen on Sunday and there will be a Q&A with Tommy immediately after the screening. It’s always interesting to see how a comedian has the courage to improvise and indeed how his mind works and Tiernan will hopefully be a revealing subject for that kind of exploration.

Michael Lavelle’s workshop should be on any aspiring cinematographer or writer’s to-do list. His work has been featured in the Cannes and Sundance festivals and has received many awards. He’s best known for his work on Undressing My Mother (2004), a film he worked on with director Ken Wardrop. The workshop takes place on Saturday morning.

There will also be a screening of the Irish film The Field on Sunday afternoon and a Q&A session with the film’s director, Jim Sheridan, afterwards.

We highly recommend that you look at the schedule and see for yourself what’s on show. If you have even just a passing interest in Irish film, this festival offers you a chance to see a good selection, all in one place. If any of you are in the area this weekend, be sure to go and take a look for yourself.

The Sky Road Film & TV Festival takes place this weekend, September 5th to 7th. The cost of admission is €6 for any film or documentary and €10 for workshops. For more information, check out http://www.skyroadfilmfestival.ie/programme/