Show Patrol: September 9th, 2008

Gig of the fortnight
Kraftwerk
Luggala, Wicklow – 13th Sept – €89.50

“The Godfathers of Electronic Music” is a hefty title to bestow on an act, but anyone who saw their famous 2005 show at Electric Picnic will bow down and testify that they don’t come much better than Dusseldorf’s Kraftwerk. The Krautrock trailblazers are becoming ever more reclusive, no interviews, no press, and no photographs of anything other than stand-in-robots. With this their only show in Western Europe this year, it’s not to be missed, especially with a full supporting bill including Soulwax, Jimmy Cake and Boxcutter.

Luggala will also be becoming the latest one-day festival venue. The Wicklow estate promises a spectacular backdrop to Kraftwerk’s incredible visuals; ‘Luggala isn’t so much an estate as a kingdom, a veritable Middle Earth of heather-covered mountains, silvery waterfalls and lakes, emerald forest and meadows.’ But don’t worry, I’m sure they’ll still do you a battered sausage and chips.

Roger Sanchez
12th September – Tripod – €29.50

Superstar DJs don’t come much bigger than Roger Sanchez. The S Man returns to Ireland once more as he prepares to release his latest compilation Release Yourself. The house music wizard will be sure to leave Tripod a stinking, sweaty mess by the night’s end.

Nickelback
13th September – RDS – €55

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the RDS! Yes, as if Exam HQ doesn’t already cause you to break out in a cold sweat, the Canadian musical monstrosity that is Nickelback returns to these shores. They’ll find it hard to match their infamous Slane performance where no less than three versions of ‘How You Remind Me’ were crowbarred into their support set.

Sun Kil Moon featuring Mark Kozelek
20th Spetember – The Academy- €23

The California, indie-folk group plan to enchant audiences with the a dreamy blend of folk and indie rock. The alt-country vocal stylings of singer, Dawn Landes,will illuminate tracks from the bands most reccent album, April. San Fran summer rock will have you reminising about those long, lost days of your J1.

Fujiya & Miyagi
20th September – Spiegeltent

The annual Fringe Fest scores another hit by securing the electronic trio that is Fujiya and Miyagi who will curate their own party night in the Spiegeltent. With lashings of soul and krautrock, the Brighton band will have toes tapping before New York DJ duo Project Jan unleash some serious dance beats.

Village People
20th September – Tripod – €58

‘Y.M.C.A.’. ‘In the Navy’. ‘Go West’. ‘Macho Man’. ‘Sex over the Phone’. Oh good lord.

Islands
20th September – Kennedy’s – €12.50
Despite Nickelback suggesting otherwise, Canada isn’t all bad, eh. Islands released one of 2006’s best albums with Return to the Sea which featured guest appearances from Arcade Fire and Wolf Parade members. With nods to dancehall and calypso, hip-hop and of course straight-up indie rock, they’re a band not to be missed in so small a venue.