Show Patrol: October 21st, 2008

Gig of the fortnight
Halloween Ball
Andrew’s Lane Theatre, 31st October, €22.00

At a loss as to what to do this Halloween now that you no longer look cute draped in a sheet and the neighbours refuse to open their doors? Then celebrate with an evening of soul and funk in the Andrew’s Lane Theatre venue. Marva Whitney and Osaka Monaurail take to the stage to provide the perfect musical backdrop to this Halloween party. Whitney, ex soul-sister of James Brown, is one of the most powerful divas of the soul era. Accompanying her, the Tokyo nine-piece funk orchestra have devoted the last fifteen years to perfecting the art of keeping it cool. Yes, you can dress up, and yes, there will be prizes for best costumes.

Vampire Weekend
The Ambassador, 23rd October, €28.00
Very few indie rock bands claim to fuse African influences with ‘New England preppiness’ but Vampire Weekend is one of them. Since the release of their debut album they have been chosen as Best New Band of the Year by Spin magazine and the New York City group seem to be going from strength to strength. On October 4th, they played a gig promoting Barack Obama’s presidential campaign, but they’ve taken some time out from converting Republicans in the U.S. to come and visit us here in Dublin. So head along for a night of up-beat pop with a twist- Just don’t mention John McCain.

Infected Mushroom
The Tivoli Theatre, 24th October, €40.00
Infected Mushroom are an his Israeli DJ duo who are a cut above the rest. The ‘psychadelic-trance’ outfit were voted into the Top Ten of DJMag’s Top DJ poll of 2007 with good reason- both Erez Aizen and Amit Dudevani studied music from an early age and have backgrounds in punk and heavy metal. This means their current output is definitely on the heavier side of electro, with Middle Eastern, celtic and flamenco influences thrown in for good measure. The two frontmen are joined on stage for live performances by guitarist, Erez Netz and drummer, Rogerio Jardim, and their performances have a reputation for being intense, fast-paced, and frenzied.

Justice
The Ambassador, 26th October, €28.00
This French duo have been nominated for more awards than Titanic since coming-together in 2003. Combining slap-bass, sampling and synthesisers, their unique acid sound has placed them among the forerunners of the ‘electro-house’ genre. Their epic list of festival appearances proves how much their popularity has grown recently- and this month, we Irish have a chance to catch them in the more intimate setting of the Ambassador. Their live shows feature a giant glowing cross in centre stage flanked by ceiling-high Marshall stacks- if you like it loud, this isn’t a gig to be missed.

Ida Maria
Whelans, 4th November, €14.50
Promoting her new album Fortress Round My Heart, Ida Maria will soon take to the stage in The Academy. Her bubblegum pop-punk singles ‘Queen Of The World’ and ‘I Like You So Much Better When You’re Naked’ took the airwaves by storm this summer and now could be a great time to catch her before her tickets get more pricey- at €14.50, you really can’t go wrong. The guitar-wielding Ida will be accompanied by a full backing band and if hearing her tracks on the radio are anything to go by, her performance is bound to be furious and fun.

Goldfrapp
Tripod, 7th November, €35.50
With ambient soundscapes, soft, caressing vocals and seductive synthesizers. If you prefer something a little livelier then maybe give this one a miss- Goldfrapp’s latest album, Seventh Tree, is more downtempo than previous efforts. Then again the British duo have been receiving nominations for awards since they got together in 1999- they’ve even managed to win a few. Their current tour includes stop-offs in San Francisco and Australia. Their Dublin gig, taking place in Tripod will tantilise you with sexy synth and slithering vocals.