Show Patrol: November 4th, 2008

Gig of the Fornight

Primal Scream
Olympia Theatre, 17th November 2008, €39.20
Primal Scream named their recently released album Beautiful Future for a reason- they obviously aren’t contemplating throwing in the towel anytime soon. And why should they? They’re stopping by our fair city for a night in the Olympia to promote this new record, so don’t miss this chance to catch such a classic rock act playing live at a theatre near you. Described simultaneously as “acid house”, “indie pop”, “alternative rock”, and “soul”, these Scottish fellows should put on a show to remember- after all, they’ve had 26 years to hone their on-stage skills. Their new material is more eclectic than ever, featuring collaborations with the likes of Lovefoxx and Josh Homme. Expect a night of musical treats and surprises and a healthy dollop of traditional British rock.

Elaine Paige
11th November, 2008, Vicar Street €55.00
Dubbed “The First Lady of British Musical Theatre”, Elaine Paige has starred in Cats, Evita, and countless other smash-hit musicals. This year marks the 40th anniversary of her West End debut and she’s celebrating the occasion with a tour, taking in Dublin along the way. If you’re one of the many that delight in cheesy musical hits (come on, admit it!), this is definitely a show to check out. Paige’s newest album features classics such as “Memory” and “I don’t know how to love him”- meaning this night will be just about as satisfyingly corny as you’re going to get.

Deathcab for Cutie
13th November, 2008 The Ambassador, €33
The name screams “EMO!!!” and yes, Deathcab For Cutie’s lyrics can veer towards the maudlin end of the scale. that said, their melancholy, melodic style has a catchyness that’ll pack the Ambassador on the night of their gig. October saw them touring the US with Neil Young- so these guys are not a band to be taken lightly. If you’re lucky enough to get your hands on a ticket, don’t forget your tissues- songs like “I Will Follow You into the Dark” won’t leave a dry eye in the house.

August Burns Red
Upstairs At Whelan’s, 10th November 2008, €13.60
“Christian rock” and “metalcore” are not genres one would expect to go hand in hand. This doesn’t deter the Pennsylvania group, August Burns Red from having a stab at combining the two- and they don’t do a bad job of it either. Their show in the intimate Whelan’s venue promises to be intense, fast-paced and not for the faint-hearted; girls, do NOT wear heels to this one. With tickets going at such reasonable prices, anyone who prefers their music on the loud and screamy side should wander down to Wexford Street and have a listen.

McFly
RDS Simmonscourt, 11th November 2008 €39.30
McFly was founded by Tom Fletcher after he auditioned for a place in Busted and was rejected- that should give you a good idea of the musical calibre of this pop-punk outfit. These kids are just about as manufactured as they come, but you have to hand it to them, they pull it off well. Prepare to be regaled by covers of classics like ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’ and ‘The Boys Are Back In Town’ at their RDS gig. Just don’t take them too seriously or you may end up in tears of agony on behalf of poor departed Freddie Mercury and Phil Lynott.

The Game
Ambassador Theatre, 16th November, 2008 €46.00
Rap isn’t a genre that gets a whole load of attention in Dublin. But anyone who knows their west-coast hip hop will know of infamous rapper ‘The Game’, and know that this ex-gangster is set to give a seriously intense live performance here in Dublin. His career has been steeped in controversy since he first decided to quit gang warfare and become a rapper. His current tour promotes the recently released album LAX which debuted as Number 2 in the international Billboard Chart.
So get your hip-hop down and feel the beats of The Game in lavish surroundings of the Ambassador.