Show Patrol: November 18th, 2008

Gig of the Fornight
Duke Special

The Olympia
25th November 2008, €24.00

There’s something indisputably Christmassy about Duke Special’s jaunty collection of piano-and-trumpet-laced tunes. ‘Tis the season after all, so why not give yourself an early Christmas present and pick up a ticket to the dreadlocked Duke’s Olympia show. His live acts are guaranteed to put a smile on anyone’s face, renowned, as they are for their Victorian music-hall charm. And the icing on the cake has to be Special’s delicious Northern Irish accent, which permeates each and every one of his melodious ballads. The recently-released album, I Never Thought This Day Would Come has been described as “more immediate and visceral” than his debut record, so if you were a fan of Songs From The Deep Forest, Otwo recommends that you don’t miss this show.

Opeth
Vicar Street
18th November 2008, €32.00
Help yourself to a generous dollop of metal, add a dash of jazz and just a sprinkle of prog rock and you’re still a million miles off describing Opeth’s distinctive sound. With vocals swinging from growling to whispering, and guitars oscillating from acoustic to heavy metal fury, we can promise that their upcoming gig will be a far cry from the usual mosh-fest offered by most Scandinavian metal groups. Currently promoting this year’s album Watershed, don’t miss your chance to see one of today’s most sophisticated, original metal groups play live right here in Dublin.

Feeder
The Ambassador
20th November 2008, €33.60
It’s been a long time since classic Feeder tracks like ‘Buck Rogers’ and ‘Just The Way I’m Feeling’ first rocked the airwaves and won the band worldwide acclaim. But the Welsh band are still going strong, even six years after the tragic death of drummer Jon Lee. After a hectic summer during which the group toured the UK and released their sixth album, they will soon cross the Irish Sea to greet their Hibernian fans. These old faithfuls are guaranteed not to disappoint, especially in the cosy, and deliciously loud Ambassador venue.

Pendulum
RDS Merrion Road
25th November 2008, €33.60
Drum n’ bass doesn’t get much better than this. Though these boys from Down Under only have two albums under their belt, they’re recognised worldwide as one of today’s leading electronica groups. Their very first album Hold Your Colour was one of the best-selling drum n’ bass albums of all time – this should give you just some idea of what to expect when they hit the RDS later this month. Think heavy beats, buzzing baselines and synth-laden instrumentals. Be prepared to dance ‘til you drop to Pendulum’s original hits, not to mention their signature remixes of dance classics like the Prodigy’s ‘Voodoo People’.

Foals
The Ambassador Theatre
27th November 2008, €23.00
Frontman Yannis Philippakis began his musical career in a “math rock” band, but times have changed and his new band, Foals, are officially hip. Philippakis was voted number 45 in NME’s 2007 ‘Cool List’, but don’t let that put you off. In fact, give yourself a pat on the back for being so up-to-date with what’s all the rage in the world of post-rock. Their single ‘Cassius’ has to be one of the catchiest tracks released this year and latest single, ‘Olympic Airways’ proves that these guys are by no means just one-hit-wonders

The Saw Doctors
The Olympia Theatre
27th November 2008, €34.00
The Saw Doctors play Dublin twice this month, their first show selling out so fast that an extra date had to be added to satisfy their legions of fans. These folk-rockers from Tuam, County Galway are obviously in high demand, and it’s easy to see why. Their live shows are renowned all over the world for being explosive, exuberant and energetic, and their lyrics range from the dark to the satirical. Make sure you get your paws on one of these tickets before they’re all snapped up a second time around.al