Show Patrol

Gig of the Fortnight –
MSTRKRFT – 01/05/09 –The Academy – €23.20

MSTRKRFT (pronounced ‘master craft’) are an ultra-energetic pair of DJs who have mixed beats for the likes of Wolfmother, Snow Patrol, Kylie Minogue and plenty of other prominent musicians but have also produced their own set of electro-house tracks that will have ravers dancing for hours. But even if glow sticks aren’t exactly your thing, a MSTRKRFT show is a must-see. The two singles (‘Easy Love’ and ‘Work on You’) from the group’s debut Fist of God illustrate exactly why so many music industry big wigs are clamoring to have these two Canadians contribute to their next album. But apart from the insanely catchy music that MSTRKRFT have created, their shows are an experience in themselves – when you wake up on 2nd May, prepare to have your ears ringing, feet throbbing, and mind blown.

Girls Aloud – 02/05/09 – The O2

Incredibly, this will be Girls Aloud’s fourth tour in the six years since their formation; not to mention the five albums they released and being in the Guinness Book of World Records 2008 for the ‘Most Consecutive Top Entries in the UK by a Female Group.’ Yet somehow the girls still have time to get their names in the tabloids on a weekly basis as well as land sponsorship deals with everyone from Sunsilk to Samsung. If chart-topping singles and highly choreographed dance routines are your thing, see them now while they’re still burning.

The Australian Pink Floyd Show – 25/04/09 – The O2 – €44.20

Since you can’t see the real Pink Floyd anymore, a cover band is the next best thing, especially if it’s one as good as this. The group includes a lineup of eleven musicians to give an orchestral effect to classic Floyd tunes. Their show also includes a psychedelic light show modeled after the one used by Pink Floyd itself during their 1987 and 1994 world tours. If you’re unconvinced, note that when David Gilmour saw the group perform for the first time, he immediately invited them to attend the end-of-tour party for the 1995 Division Bell tour.

Gomez – 30/04/09 – The Academy – €26.00

This English-group has been on the indie scene since 1997 and have consequently played at some of the best-known music festivals worldwide, from the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in California to SXSW in Texas. Touring with the likes of Dave Matthews and Ben Kweller, the band must have learned something from being the opening act for some of the best live groups on the planet. Having released A Tide to Promote on 31st March, they band will has plenty of new material to try out as well as old favorites such as ‘How We Operate’ and ‘Catch Me Up’ to get the crowd going.

Camera Obscura – 30/04/09 – Andrews Lane Theatre – €19.00

Scottish indie-pop group Camera Obscura has had its share of line-up changes – some amicable, some not. On tour to promote their latest release My Maudlin Career, the group has still not completely erased the possibility of further alterations. After announcing in February that “due to family commitments, Nigel [Baillie] will no longer be a full time member of Camera Obscura,” followed with, “But watch out for him popping up at live appearances from time to time.” Here’s hoping the group’s appearance at Andrews Lane Theatre is one such time.

Bob Dylan – 05/05/09 – The O2 – €49.80 – €70.70

Bob Dylan might be older than sin and have a voice so shot from years of smoking that you can barely understand a word he sings, but at the end of the day he’s still Bob Dylan. The danger in paying the lofty ticket price to see Dylan live is that he can sometimes concentrate on the more obscure songs from his extensive catalogue. But the show can be worth the price to hear some of his killer covers – even in his old age, Dylan can still shred through Jimi Hendrix’s ‘All Along the Watchtower.’