Show Patrol

Gig of the Fortnight: Pink
19.04.09 – 20.04.09
The O2
€49.20 – €200

Alicia Beth Moore (a.k.a. Pink) will be taking hold of the O2 arena and giving it a good rattle later this month. Since her explosion into the mainstream in 2000, she has been a ubiquitous figure who refuses to budge from the charts. Her recent album will literally turn the arena into a Funhouse. There is no point in writing off Pink’s popularity and meteoric record sales as a mere stroke of luck. It is genius and bloody great marketing as well. So why should you spend your hard earned cash on a corporate cash-in, that was originally spawned to add character and to oppose the sickly sweet pop of her counterparts? I’ll tell you why – it will be a great night out where we can all be unashamedly immature again and not feel guilty!

The Enemy
17.04.09 The Academy
€24
Hailing from Coventry, this three-piece punk-rock outfit has been dubbed by NME as most likely to “break your windows”. They performed at Glastonbury twice, each time moving up to a bigger stage. Continuing on from that, they have a series of similarly huge festivals like Reading and Leeds under their belts. Their sound is guitar-driven and heavily influenced by the Sex Pistols. Promoting their new album, Music for the People, gig goers should be prepared for an evening of general mayhem and endless fun.

Doves
20.04.09 Olympia Theatre
€28
After a four-year break, the English indie-rock trio, Doves are back with their fourth studio album – Kingdom of Rust, which guitarist Jez Williams has described as “schizophrenic, but… also strangely cohesive”. With slightly weird discordant noises accompanying their melodies (probably explaining the ‘schizophrenic’ description), some of you may believe this band’s sound to be pretentious and a tad irritating. However, if a laid-back, mellow, Radiohead-infused night is what you are looking for, then this fits the bill.

Ice Cube
19.04.09 Tripod
€42.50 – €48.50
One of the godfathers of ‘gangsta’ rap is back in business and touring Europe again. While people might scoff at the rapper and his following, ‘it’ll be going down’ West Coast style whether you like it or not, later this month. For many of you, this will be the perfect evening to reminisce about Nineties rap and to get down on the new stuff, so why not? Perhaps a considerably larger venue would suit this Raw Footage tour date better, but with songs like the wonderfully unsubtle ‘Fuck tha Police” and “AmeriKKKa’s Most Wanted”, it hardly matters.

AC/DC
18.04.09 The O2
€67.70
The legendary giants of rock and roll are going to be rockin’ Dublin to the delight of Irish metalheads later this month. After an eight-year hiatus, this will surely be one kick-ass event. Hopefully the band will be playing old favourites like ‘Back in Black’ and ‘You Shook Me All Night Long’, in addition to the dreaded new tracks from their recently released album – Black Ice. The reception that AC/DC has had over the years has always been roundly positive. This fact would cause anyone to believe that the night surely won’t be akin to travelling the ‘Highway to Hell’.

Gran Casino (with support from Mail Order Messiahs)
10.04.09 Whelans
€6 – €7
Promising twelve-piece Irish group, Gran Casino, bring their high-octane live show to Whelan’s. Seeming to perpetually challenge indie-rock convention, the eclectic range of instruments utilised by the band on stage include sitars, violins and French horns. After winning UCD’s Battle of the Bands last year, they have gone from strength to strength, releasing the accomplished Sun Music EP and garnering acclaim for their support slot with Tilly and The Wall. Hence, for an intense amalgamation of every musical instrument under the sun, incorporating diverse influences from Miles Davis to Arcade Fire, don’t miss this unique experience.