Film Review: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1

Title: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1

Director: Bill Condon

Starring: Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner.

Release Date: Out Now

The latest instalment of the Twilight series marks a transitional phase, for characters and fans alike, from awkward teenage angst into adulthood and all the joys that being ‘grown up’ has to offer:  Marriage, consummating the marriage and the resulting pregnancy with a vampire child.

The first half of the film is the romantic movie, typical of the previous Twilight instalments, smothered with moments of longing gazes into each other’s eyes, terrible melodramatic music and rose petals falling from the sky. Jacob (Taylor Lautner) continues to rebel against Edward’s (Robert Pattinson) and Bella’s (Kristen Stweart) love, but is also torn because his caring for Bella’s safety is causing a rift in his pack.

Team Jacob fans will undoubtedly be happy to know he is shirtless within ten seconds, in an attempt to show this anger. The romanticism literally climaxes with a wedding, honeymoon and, the moment all Twilight fans have been waiting for, consummation of the marriage and all in a manner that will not leave them disappointed. Needless to say the three-and-a-half-movie wait leaves a broken bed and a shredded duvet and a load of feathers around the place.

The adult tone of Twilight really begins when Bella falls pregnant. Stewart’s acting ability is strained as she portrays the pregnant teen whose vampire baby is crushing her bones and feeding off her from within. The birthing scenes are also quite graphic, where blood is the main ingredient. Those who have not read the book are left in suspense as the movies ends with the question of whether Bella will survive the birth of the ‘vampire child’ (although the fact that there is an upcoming Twilight: Breaking Dawn- Part 2 might be quite telling).

Despite the film having some seriously cringe-worthy moments and the CGI effects being highly questionable the movie provides exactly what Twilight fans will have expected. There are times of utter cringe that leave you shaking your head in disbelief, there are moments of laughing out loud at the screen but, despite these flaws, Twilight: Breaking Dawn offers a story that has resonated with millions of people around the world and has scenes that will have even the most hardened Twilight critics struggling to hold back their tears.

In a Nutshell: If you are a Twilight fan the movie will definitely not disappoint, despite some questionable CGI effects. If you’re not a Twilight fan, this is still worth a watch.