Radar — Tell No Foxx

Wicklow natives, Tell No Foxx, talk to Jack Walsh about the pressures of the first EP, playing the Other Voices festival and being the Irish contender to Bastille’s crown

For a band that only formed in early 2012, Tell No Foxx have come a long way. Johnny Flood, Luke Lacey and Brian Bucket appear to be very levelheaded in their approach to music. This isn’t a band that deals in riff raff.

Speaking to Otwo about the origins of the band and how they got into music at a young age, the group felt the foundation of Tell No Foxx was “pretty standard, Luke grew up in a musical family and started learning classical guitar, Brian began singing in a local choir from a young age and Johnny started learning how to play guitar very badly; that’s why he now plays bass.”

Although they are remarkably down to earth, Tell No Foxx they definitely come across as three highly driven perfectionists who always push themselves to fine-tune their sound. “We are three strong-minded individuals. It took a long time to find a sound that defines us.

“Finding our sound consisted of making loads of mistakes. It was the happy accidents that directed us to what we sound like today and were pretty happy about it.”

The first recorded work for any band requires a lot of toil over equipment and defines the future of any band, while also requiring the confidence to convey years of work into 40 minutes.

Tell No Foxx, by admission, have taken a grinding approach to the process. “The past six months we have just been in a groove,” they say. “We get together every day and work on our music. This allows us to really take our time at what way we want it to sound. Influence comes from everything: music, film, surroundings, people, social life.”

Regarding their first EP, the Wicklow group is taking things on a day-by-day basis. “Our EP is still pretty much under construction. We have been recording demos off Luke’s laptop for the past few months to work out all of the kinks.

“We often change up a song or re-record it until we get a sound that we’re happy with. This is the pre-production stage, and it can be quite tedious. Next step is to record in a proper studio, which we’re set to do in December. If all stays on track, we hope to have our debut EP out February 2014.”

For an Irish band, inclusion in the annual Other Voices festival is a reward as much as it is a trial by fire. Undeterred, the band believe the that “Other Voices was an absolute blast, we didn’t know what to expect.

“We were playing the music trial. It’s where they got Ireland’s newest bands and had them playing in local venues around the city. It’s pretty surreal walking around the city in awe of the amazing talent this little county has to offer. Some bands got venues with nobody there. We got thrown in at the deep end and played to about 150 people.”

After being described by GoldenPlec.com as the “Irish contender to Bastille’s crown,” the band has been invited to do a leg of the FMC Tour with The Funeral Suits, Le Galaxy & Dathi. With their confidence firmly in place, the Tell No Foxx are firmly on their way to becoming more than mere contenders.