Otwo – Editors' Letter

And so we face the final curtain…

After twelve issues of artistic exploration and indeed low-brow humour, Otwo has reached its final destination. We’re J1/back to our mammies bound, but don’t think that we slacked off because you’ll be busy freaking out about the difference that those long-lost attendance and contribution marks could have made to your ever-lowering GPA. We are going out with a bang!

Alan Rickman graced UCD with his rather ominous presence recently and sat down for a few gravely-voiced words with Otwo about career longevity and smoking caterpillars. Punk legends Stiff Little Fingers are making a racket on our music pages, as are the somewhat quieter yet still more than aggressive alt rockers The Von Bondies, folksters Camera Obscura, Canadian indie rock favourites Metric and their American peers the Virgins, Nova Scotian wordsmith Buck 65 and our very own Gran Casino. Phew!

And yet it doesn’t end there. There are CD reviews and gig recommendations to peruse, and film zooms in on the horror of The Uninvited and gets political with State of Play.

Gastronomics and alcoholics can argue over our Food page as we declare the world’s top five ice creams and put beer and spirits head to head, and theatre is suitably fruity with a look at the lusty Only an Apple and a review of the rock-tastic Rent.

Art clocks in all Swiftian with Yinka Shonibare’s latest exhibition and with holidays beckoning our travel team sample the delights of Amsterdam and the sunshine, spills and thrills of Tenerife on your behalf.

Fashion flaunts the up-and-coming summer styles and our Otwo Attemptees make a truly gallant endeavour to beat a world record. Pay close attention to the sacraments of What’s Hot and What’s Not and read what Mystic Mittens has to say about your imminent future with extra care, because this is the last installment of worthwhile advice and forewarning that you’ll be getting for a while.

But before we leave you to struggle on without us, there is a thank you or two to be said. To Otwo Chief Writer, Alison and Fashion Editor, Aisling we want to extend our particular thanks, but we are also incredibly grateful to every single Otwo contributor who has helped us out this year. And there must be somebody we’ve forgotten to mention… ah yes, it’s you – the reader! Enjoy the last of our efforts, make the most of your summer and don’t forget to pick up a copy of our successors’ Otwo in September!

Thank you and goodnight!

Kate and Paul