O-Two Editors' Letter

Hello again!

It’s only a few weeks in to the term and already summer lie-ins and sun holidays are but a distant memory. You can thank your lucky Starbucks that Otwo is here to get you through the post-Freshers’ Week blues with plenty of material too good to leave lying around your respective building. Get reading!

Little Britain star and swimmer supreme David Walliams graced UCD last week, and Otwo was there to hear all he had to say about his unique brand of comedy.

We have music coming out of ears this fortnight, having caught up with the Dublin music scene’s darlings, Fight Like Apes, before the release of their debut album, as well as squeezing in interviews with the next cool Canadian outfit, Islands, alt-folkster Rocky Votolato and indie rockers The Courteneers. In Gigabyte we look at the electrowizardry of a Kraftwerk performance and Show Patrol predicts the gigs that are really worth going to over the next fortnight.

Anyone who has felt a draught during a tutorial can tell you that the autumn chill is kicking in; we chatted to Off The Rails make-up artist Ken Boylan about skincare tips and make-up trends for the colder months ahead.

There’s variety a plenty on our film page, with reviews of martial arts action film Redbelt and British drama Unrelated. Over in TV we debate the differences between the American and British versions of The Office and look at the ultimate it ‘love it or hate it’ series that is The Hills.

Spanish artist Salvador Dalí is the inspirational Icon for this issue, whilst we examine some art a little closer to home at the Hugh Lane Centenary Exhibition. Actor Jonathan McGuinness gives us an insight in to what is sure to be one of the highlights of this year’s Dublin Theatre Festival, a stage play version of Kafka’s Metamorphosis.

The Festival of World Food whets our appetite for something global, and our Travel writers report from the far flung locations of Cuba and Rio de Janeiro.

Inspired by Ireland’s recent Olympic success, the Otwo team braved a session with the UCD Boxing Club and are now prepared to defend this supplement with our very own fists. You have been warned…

First years get a heads up on how not to aggravate their elders in Soapbox, What’s Hot declares all that is vogue and not-so-vogue for the next fourteen days and Mystic Mittens hits the nail on the head once more with some painfully accurate predictions.

As always, we’re open to contributions of any kind, just drop us a line at o-two@ucd.ie or call in to The University Observer Office in the Student Centre. Otherwise, ‘til October!

Yours,
Kate & Paul

~~~

Fancy a theatrical evening on us? Otwo has two sets of tickets for Metamorphosis on the 1st October to give away. To win, email o-two@ucd.ie with your details and the answer to this question: what is the name of the main protagonist in The Metamorphosis?