Music | That Mundy morning feeling

Having launched the feel good hit of the summer, ‘Galway Girl’, Mundy has taken his music across the water to the US, writes Stephanie Wallace Chavanne.

Think of Mundy and most people think of summer songs, black haired-girls and the month of July. He is the easy-going-guy with the typical Irish sense of humour that comes across both through his music and onstage.

Mundy is currently recording his new album and touring in America, with his first gig in the Wee Craic in New York. This hectic schedule suits the Westmeath man, who says he prefers to be busy and was pleased to start off in America, using his celtic charm to please the US audiences. “Americans love a bit of the Irish!” Mundy laughs.

Bright lights of the big city have their allure, but the singer looks forward to a triumphant return. “I like the welcome when I come back to Ireland. It’s like getting off a plane and seeing your friend at arrivals.”

Native festivals such as Oxegen are the ones that stand out for Mundy as his favourite live gigs. “Having over 10,000 people going bananas in one tent is an experience you don’t forget!”

With a long line of tour dates behind him it comes as no surprise that Mundy loves gigging, but he admits that ‘you can end up playing in… not so nice places’. Yet two gigs are never the same, and after more than a decade in the music business he is still amazed by peoples’ reactions to his work.

“I always think, man I could have done that better, kinda like when you see a photo of yourself and you think ‘I could have looked better that day’”

When comparing the sensations of recording in the studio to that of playing live he uses the analogy of recording being somewhat like an exam, “I always think, man I could have done that better, kinda like when you see a photo of yourself and you think ‘I could have looked better that day’”.

Like many musicans before him, Mundy is using his musical prowess to highlight the plight of hurricane survivors. His single ‘Fever’ is being used to raise money for the Maeto Clinic, an organisation helping the survivors of the recent hurricane in Burma.

‘Fever’ was inspired by a book written about Burma and mentions places that were hit by the hurricane. “I flicked to the news one day and I saw a report on Burma where hundreds of people had lost their homes and families. I immediately felt a connection and decided to donate the royalties of ‘Fever’ to the Maetao Clinic”, Mundy comments.

Mundy didn’t take this decision lightly, being aware of the double edged sword that is the charity music single. “Charity can be a scary area, you can get slagged off”. Yet with a battalion of supporters in his homeland and a growing fan base in the US, getting ‘slagged off’ is not something that is likely to be trouble Mundy any time soon.

Mundy plays The Academy on 9 and 16 October.