Music | Songs to burn and sing

Far from being just another ‘post rock’ band, This Will Destroy You are about to take the genre to another level, writes Conor Barry.

Texas-band This Will Destroy You has had a surprisingly easy time breaking into the American market. With the critical success of their EP Young Mountain and their eponymous debut album, the band has constantly been on the up. Having just finished their new split album with Lymbyc Systym they are about to go on tour. Why the slight feeling of surprise at these achievements?

This Will Destroy You is one of the many new bands to come out of the popular ‘post-rock’ wave. Following in the footsteps of post-rock giants Sigur Rós, Animal Collective and Mogwai, there is a certain amount of hesitation in accepting another dose of long meandering tunes. Do we really need any more?

“We really liked Whelan’s last time we played it. It was one of our favourite pubs of the tour”

How do you actually go about starting a post-rock band anyway? With traditional beginnings the band met in high school and started playing together as your average garage band. “We all did the punk rock thing for a while,” says guitarist Jeremy Galindo.

“Eventually we all grew up and started listening to different styles of music and eventually This Will Destroy You was formed back in 2004. When we first started writing the TWDY stuff, it definitely had more of a linear type vibe to it.”

Since their formation they have moved from punk to a more experimental sound. It is this seemingly organic style of playing that is their major appeal. With a more traditional rock sound than many other post-rock bands, TWDY manage to achieve the perfect balance between mellow and intense.

“Most of the time somebody will just come in with a guitar riff and we’ll just develop on it. The bulk of our songs are normally written in one practice. There are a few that go over the span of a few months but normally the ones that stick are the ones that come straight out.”

“The bulk of our songs are normally written in one practice. There are a few that go over the span of a few months but normally the ones that stick are the ones that come straight out”

While they’re not huge on these shores yet, this is probably only a matter of time. Of course, the only true way to experience the band is to go see them for yourself.

When asked about their upcoming mid-October gig in Whelan’s, Jeremy describes the unique experience of playing intimate live shows, “When we’re on a giant stage we tend to lose a little bit of the intimacy. Between all of us that can definitely be lost on a giant stage or in a giant room. But we really liked Whelan’s last time we played it. It was one of our favourite pubs of the tour. We’re really looking forward to being back there.”
With their split EP available in November and their next upcoming album in the works, the band certainly isn’t slowing down. Catch them in Whelan’s so you can proudly show off the fact that you discovered them first.

This Will Destroy You play Whelan’s, 12 October. Tickets: €14.50