Music: Shuffle

Feeling stressed? Imelda Hehir gives you advice on what songs will help you pull through the long arduous exam period

‘WRAPPED UP IN BOOKS’ – BELLE AND SEBASTIAN

The date is December 10th and you realise you haven’t had a social life since mid November. This Belle and Sebastian ditty feels your pain.

‘YOUR ENGLISH IS GOOD’ – TOKYO POLICE CLUB

You study English right? Listen to this song and then whisper its chorus over and over during that dreaded Reading Medieval II exam.

‘THE ELEMENTS’ – TOM LEHRER

Probably the only genuinely useful song here, in which Lehrer – one of the many rad 1950s humorists – actually goes to the trouble of listing off the elements in song form, thus perfectly justifying your decision to listen to your iPod while studying.

‘MATHLETICS’ – FOALS

The term ‘math rock’ is probably one of the finest examples of journalistic hoopla out there, but use it if you must, as an excuse to convince yourself that listening to Foals will somehow aid your mathematical ability.

‘IT’S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT (AND I FEEL FINE)’ – REM

Finishing one exam at 8pm, and then having the next one at 9am the following morning, you are on a diet of skittles and Dr Pepper. While it initially feels like the end of the world, you will subsequently ‘feel fine’ just like Mr Stipe, upon accepting the inglorious fate to which you are doomed.

‘GOT MY MIND SET ON YOU’ – GEORGE HARRISON

There’s nothing like a number from the quintessential purveyor of calm, George Harrison, to de-stress following a rigorous study session. And why not fly to India and develop a lifelong obsession with transcendental meditation while you’re at it?

‘SUSPENDED FROM CLASS’ – CAMERA OBSCURA

In the case of this song, for ‘suspended’, read ‘haven’t turned up’ and for ‘from’ read ‘for’. Add in ‘since early September’ at the end of the title. See? It’s okay, Camera Obscura know exactly how you feel. Why not just do what they did and become famous pop stars instead?

‘THIS IS NOT A TEST’ – SHE & HIM

No actually, they are in fact your end-of-semester exams, which do in fact count towards your degree. But there’s nothing like indulging in a bit of fantasy during those long bouts of closet hiding.

‘F.E.A.R.’ – IAN BROWN

A song that doubtless resonates with most students, once that sinking feeling which anyone who has ever set foot in the RDS around winter time has experienced ad nauseam.

‘MORE THAN THIS’ – ROXY MUSIC

This song’s title is routinely heard, usually accompanied by an expletive, when you suddenly realise that the 2,000 word essay you are writing is in fact meant to be a 3,000 word essay.

‘TEXTBOOK’ – WE ARE SCIENTISTS

This song provides a useful reminder of an essential component for study. And something which you should definitely not decide to buy only two days before your final-year History of Psychology exam.