Music | CD Review: Metallica – Death Magnetic

Artist: Metallica
Album: Death Magnetic
Rating: B+

It would always be a difficult road back to form for Metallica, after their disappointing eighth album St. Anger in 2003.

However, under the guidance of Grammy award-winning producer Rick Rubin, the band has re-introduced some flair and creativity to their song writing.

The return to thrashing solos from lead guitarist Kirk Hammett will be a delight for fans and nine minute instrumental ‘Suicide & Redemption’ is simply stunning in both its style variety and its musicianship.

‘The Day That Never Comes’ was the obvious choice to release as a single, as it bears strong resemblance to previous work ‘Fade to Black’.

Metallica have chosen not to pursue new sonic ventures, but have taken a step back to mimic their more successful 80s era. Thin Lizzy influences can be heard clearly throughout, with harmonised solo efforts and solid bass lines.

The album itself is a weighty one with over an hour of metal; ten songs, with the shortest being over five minutes long! Expect long intros, fast tempos, metal licks and musically entrancing breakdowns from the best album Metallica have released in almost two decades.

In a Nutshell: A decent delivery from American metal legends Metallica shows the world that their creative side hasn’t worn away in a 20-odd-year career.

Conor McKenna