Music | CD Review: Fight Like Apes – Fight Like Apes and the Mystery of the Golden Medallion

They may have gotten their name from a line in the cringe-worthy 1970s sci-fi Beneath the Planet of the Apes but that doesn’t mean that Fight Like Apes are all bad, as is proven by their debut album; Fight Like Apes and the Mystery of the Golden Medallion.

The opening track ‘Something Global’ is, minus the elongated string intro, a punchy onslaught of upbeat retro pop punk with some strong flavours of nu-rave thrown in for good measure.

Unfortunately, this is subsequently followed by songs such as ‘Jake Summers’ and ‘Tie Me Up With Jackets’, both of which are a little too quirky for comfort.

‘Lend Me Your Face’ is admittedly catchy, however, when lead singer Maykay starts repeatedly screaming “Lend me your face. I’ll bust it up and then replace it,” it’s hard to know whether to start crying or just switch the track.

‘Battlestations’ is an electro extravaganza; a cross between Bloc Party and Motion City Soundtrack, complete with a digital crescendo, pounding grooves and a well-placed sample. ‘Lumpy Dough’ is an atmospheric
masterpiece and sounds like what Morcheeba might come up with if they were in a bad mood.

Overall the album is a decent effort from the Dublin-quartet, with some really memorable moments throughout. The downside is you have to delve through a world of dizzy synthesisers and inappropriate B-52 vocals to find them.

In a Nutshell: Probably best to leave this one on the shelf and settle for a few selective downloads instead.

Dermot Murphy