Music: Campus Band – The Pulpit

Evan O’Leary of electro-surfers The Pulpit rises to the challenge of this issue’s Campus Band Questionnaire

Who are your members and what do they play?

Laura Lovejoy on guitar and vocals, Evan O’Leary on synthesiser and Neil Mooney on drums.

Where did you get the inspiration for your name?

We wanted something that sounded Catholic.

Where do you gig?

Our following is quite diverse. We played Whelans and The Twisted Pepper, but also lots of gay venues like Pantibar. I’m gay, Laura and Neil aren’t, so we are to some extent a part of the scene and I think we are kind of camp. Our singer Laura, for example, is not very macho, but she is a strong woman. Anyway, we don’t question gender roles in our lyrics. We’re not that intellectual. Most of our songs are about loneliness and love, which are easy topics to write about for me.

What do you play on your tour bus?

Our tour bus is a Morris Minor, which Neil owns. I get no choice in the music, so it is usually the Cramps or the 13th Floor Elevators. The other guys have a preference for 60s surf rock.

What’s the best thing about going to UCD?

I have a boyfriend, but I would say attractive men. And there are lots of cool places where you can have tea and hang around.

What’s the worst thing about going to UCD?

I suppose the library. It looks like a prison. The pseudo-innovative lights on the escalators don’t make it better.

Which acts would you choose to headline your dream festival?

Laura and Neil would probably pick Dick Dale or the Cramps, but I would pick the Pet Shop Boys. I like them, because they are very theatrical and they put on a good show.

Where would be your dream place to play?

I really like the Olympia Theatre on Dame Street. It’s a small, but very underrated venue.

How do you differ from other bands in UCD?

We don’t sound like the Coronas and I think we have a unique sound. We call it electro-surf. We also differ from others, because there are not many three-piece bands around. The instrumentation is unique as well: You don’t get synth and guitar without bass very often. Unfortunately, the combination of electronic sounds and indie guitars has become quite popular, but 60s guitar is not really in fashion at the moment, so that’s how we stand out.

In conversation with Lorenz Beyer

The Pulpit play Whelan’s on Friday 19th November.