Campus Band Interview – Soldiers Can’t Dance

Conor Cuffe, vocalist and guitarist for indie-rock band Soldiers Can’t Dance, talks to O-two about his Connemara connections and the band’s upcoming Dublin gigs

Who are your members and what do they play?

My name’s Conor Cuffe and I’m on vocals and guitar, we have Luke Fitzgerald on the drums and vocals and James Kennedy plays bass and sings vocals too.

Where did you get the inspiration for your name?

Well, Luke (the drummer) thought of it one day and has refused to tell us where it came from, so I guess we’ll never know that!

Where do you gig?

We’ve played Whelan’s, The Village, and Crawdaddy. We’ve a gig coming up in Crawdaddy on the February 21st and the Purple Room, in Drogheda on the 28th of the same month. We formed the band in June last year and have serious support locally but we’re going to start playing all over Ireland on tour, heading to Limerick in March, to expand our fan base.

What do you play on the tour bus?

On the way to gigs, we like to listen to the xx, Lyric FM (honestly, it calms the nerves!), The Maccabees, and Kings of Leon’s first album [Youth and Young Manhood].

What’s the best thing about college?

Right now, we’re taking the year off from college to start our tour around Ireland. But when we were in Galway the craic was seriously great, meeting loads of new people and making friends, surfing in Cliften and swimming in the sea. I made loads of mates in Connemara because I studied in the Gaeltacht so there we always had a laugh.

What is the worst thing about college?

Well, obviously early mornings are bad, and so was the drive home on the weekends! I guess the worst bit was being so busy and the lack of time to write music, so that’s why we’re taking the year out: the gigging and writing new songs!

What acts would headline your dream festival?

Arctic Monkeys, The Maccabees… Sounds like the Oxegen lineup! Paramore for Luke and Biffy Clyro for James.

Where would be your dream place to play?

Definitely Glastonbury. That would be incredible!

How would you differ from other college bands?

We try to be original; no one else out there really has our sound at the moment. We’re new, but we’re a hard-working band and are just trying to be heard. We’d love to do a few campus gigs to get our name out there to as many people as possible. Our first track ‘Lego’ has been really popular and the Brit Indie Rock Blog and a New York Indie Blog have reviewed us, which was amazing. Getting this university paper interview is great too, especially when it’s UCD as we’re playing loads of upcoming gigs in Dublin so hopefully people will check us out and like what they hear!

In conversation with Laurie Dool.

For more information, visit myspace.com/soldierscantdanceband.