Music: Ambience Par Excellence

From a lonely cottage in Iceland to Dublin’s Tripod, Lorenz Beyer explores the dark side of Danish indie-electro producer Trentemøller

You think techno is anti-intellectual and superficial? Anders Trentemøller might convince you otherwise. His celebrated record, Into the Great Wide Yonder, merges the soundscape of minimalistic electronic music with indie-rock elements. Its mysterious and spooky atmosphere recalls similar-minded artists such as Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin.

“During the process of making the new album, I was in Iceland for some weeks with my girlfriend,” he recalls. “We went to this deserted place, a four-hour drive away from Reykjavik. There, we stayed in a solitary cottage. Nearby was a black wooden church in the middle of this stone desert. I took that picture home with me in my head, because it was so dramatic. The nature, the weather and this total quietness inspired me a lot.”

Trentemøller has made a living from making music for ten years now. He started out by playing in several indie bands in his hometown of Copenhagen, and eventually moved on to producing minimalistic electronic music. Unsurprisingly, it feels natural for him to be caught between two stools.

Trentemøller has made friends with two similar acts from Germany, who are celebrated for their organic sound: Pantha du Prince and Kollektiv Turmstrasse. Both have contributed remixes to Trentemøller’s current single: ‘Even Though You’re With Another Girl’.

“I was playing several gigs in Berlin with Kollektiv Turmstrasse. They were my friends in a way. It’s a different story with Pantha du Prince. I never met him in person. That is the weirdest thing about remix culture – you often work on someone else’s tracks, but you rarely meet the person.”

He continues: “But I will remix our support band Chimes and Bells while we are touring Europe. It will be great to listen to my sketches together and maybe have them play some instruments on my remix.”

Trentemøller’s European tour took him to Dublin’s Tripod on October 23rd. “We are six or seven musicians on stage: Two guitar players, a drummer, three singers and me. I want to make it a more visual experience to see the show. Our scenery was specially built to reflect the spooky and mystic vibe of the music. We also have visuals to make it more cinematic.”

Trentemøller’s new album Into The Great Wide Yonder is out now.