Whether you’re a passionate baker and have no time on your hands, or a lazy student who has never baked before and wants a quick and easy dessert that tastes and looks amazing, this is the dessert for you.
With the most basic method and ingredients you can create a spectacular brownie to enjoy as an after dinner dessert or a chocolate craving midnight snack. This student and kitchen friendly recipe will suit you and it only takes five minutes! You literally only need a microwave, a mug, a fork and a tablespoon, follow these simple steps to impress your room mates and friends.
4 tablespoons of self-raising flour
4 tablespoons of granulated or caster sugar
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder (I recommend Cadbury’s Bournville cocoa powder!)
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons of water
2 tablespoons of oil (preferable vegetable or sunflower)
2-3 tablespoons of milk
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a mug using a fork to ensure there are no lumps.
- Add the wet ingredients and simply mix together with the fork until completely combined. If you find it too dry add another tablespoon of milk.
- Place your mug in the microwave and turn it on for 1 minute on high.
- If your brownie has risen and it is dry to touch then it’s ready, otherwise microwave at 10 second intervals until it has well risen and is dry to touch.
- If you prefer dense gooey brownies only microwave it for a minute. If you prefer a cake spongy texture aim to microwave it for almost 1 and half to two minutes.
- Allow it to stand for a minute before digging in, beware it can be really hot!
- I highly recommend adding a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and allow it to slowly melt away.
- You can then dust with icing sugar or add sprinkles/sauce/Nutella or cream whichever you fancy and enjoy!
TOP TIP: Why not mix it in a bowl first and divide into little teacups or ramekins instead of a mug, they would make a perfect pretty dinner party desserts! Taking only five minutes, and using cost effective ingredients that you may have lying around its magic!
So there you have it, brownie in five minutes! You don’t need fancy equipment or fancy ingredients nor do you need a lot of experience or skill baking, just follow my recipe and nothing can go wrong!