Mixtape: Misheard Lyrics

Things never seem as they appear… better give it a second listen with Ciarán O’Braonain

Human – The Killers
‘Are we human, or are we dancer?’ A line which sparked much debate amongst Killers fans, to the consternation of Brandon Flowers, with some hearing ‘denser’ while others, correctly hearing ‘dancer’.

Fairytale of New York – The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl
Despite being Ireland’s favourite Christmas song most people seem to sing “God I’m the lucky one, came in at ten to one” instead of the actual lyric: “Got on a lucky one, came in eighteen to one.”

You Oughta Know – Alanis Morrisette
“It’s not fair to deny me, of the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me”
“It’s not fair to deny me, of the cross I bare that you gave to me”
Seriously people, COME ON!

Don’t Look Back in Anger – Oasis
“And so, Sally can wait…”
Despite each and every person in the drunken crowd belting out a different version, and regardless of the nonsensical meaning, all are equally passionate in their conviction that theirs are the right words. Two of my favourite examples are: “And so sides await…” and “Am I so sly to wait…”

Drops of Jupiter – Train
“Did you make it to the Milky Way to see the lights all faded, and Van Halen is overrated” . Yes, that’s what he sang, he doesn’t think Jump was that good a song, even before it got Glee-d.
Of course it could be “that heaven is overrated”

Summer of ’69 – Bryan Adams
“I got my first real sex dream” Just…no.
“I got my first real six-string”

Independent Woman – Destiny’s Child
“All the women who independent throw your hands at Batman” Now this doesn’t even make sense, why would throw your hand anyway, is it detachable? And why would Batman want it? And if you’re independent, do you need Batman to have your hand?
“All the women who independent, throw your hands up at me”

That Don’t Impress me Much – Shania Twain
“I can’t believe you kiss your cock at night” Yoga can teach you many things, and if this is one of them, maybe I should Get in Gear, Get Active
“I can’t believe you kiss your car goodnight”

Song 2 – Blur
“I got my head shaved by H. Emboche/ Jon Bon Jovi/ a trombone chain” Do trombones have chains? Are they sharp enough to shave heads? Is Jon Bon Jovi branching out to hairdressing?
“I got my head checked, by a jumbo jet”

Yellow Leadbetter – Pearl Jam
Impossible to make out any of the lyrics

Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana
Again, hard to make out the lyrics. So much so that Weird Al Yankovic’s song ‘Smells Like Nirvana’ includes the lines “What is this song all about? Can’t figure any lyrics out, How do the words go?” and “The lyrics sheet’s so hard to find, what are the words, oh nevermind”

You’re So Vain – Carly Simon
“there were clowns in my coffee, clowns in my coffee” OK to be fair, why the hell are there clouds in her coffee?
“there were clouds in my coffee…”

Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers – Islands in the Stream
sounds like: “Ireland’s Industry” but only if you’re of sub-normal intelligence. “Ireland’s Industry, that is what we are” Yes of course, our entire nation’s single industry is based around Dolly Parton and her moll.