Mixtape – Driving Songs

Tearing down the highway with the rooftop down? In this weather? You crazy thing. Alison Lee’s got you covered – musically, at least

The Doors – ‘LA Woman’

A road trip isn’t a roadtrip without the gravelly voice of Mr Mojo’ Risin blaring from the stereo. Sadly Cadillacs, highways and deserts are rare in this neck of the woods – but give it a spin next time you’re zooming along the M50.

Bob Marley – ‘Jammin’’

We’ve all spent eternity stuck in traffic, cursing red lights, learners and pensioners in Ford Fiestas. Think how many hours that stress is knocking off your life! Next time you’re caught in a jam throw on Bob Marley, sit back, and chillax.

Pendulum – ‘Voodoo People’ remix

You’re late for something. Be it the birth of your first child or the new episode of Desperate Housewives, you need to get somewhere fast. Who better to hurry you along: The Prodigy or Pendulum? Problem solved: they’re both here in this superfast, superfrenzied drum n’ bass remix.

The Smiths – ‘There Is A Light That Never Goes Out’

Lyrics like “If a double-decker bus crashes into us, to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die” may be a little politically incorrect… But this bittersweet coming of age ballad is nonetheless one of Morissey’s finest works.

Rage Against The Machine – ‘Fistful Of Steel’

There’s nothing like driving when you’re pissed off. And if there was ever a band that knows how to be pissed off, it’s Rage Against The Machine. This loud, violent song probably won’t calm you down but there’ll be rhythm to your wrath.

Girl Talk – ‘Play Your Part (Pt 1)’

Mashup DJ Gregg Gillis “borrowed” samples from over 25 artists to use on this track, including Jay-Z, Sinead O’Connor, and Roy Orbison. The result is a zany hip-hop remix. Pump it up and pick up some chicks in da hood. Or pick up milk from Spar, whatever.

Golden Earring – ‘Radar Love’

What list of driving tunes would be complete without a power ballad? This song hearkens back to a lost golden era when rock stars wore sparkly pants, when men played tambourines, and when mullets were sexy.

Kraftwerk – ‘Trans-Europe Express’

Add ‘techno’ to the endless list of “things Germans are good at”: This glitchy electronic beat may have been written about a train but it’s also the perfect musical backdrop for expeditions along the autobahn.

The Clash – ‘Rock the Casbah’

Maybe it’s too early to fantasize about summertime, but this Clash track always springs to mind as a great soundtrack for carefree cruising in the sunshine.