Mixtape: Classical music to fall asleep to

Finding it hard to drift off lately? Whether it’s that excess caffeine or an inverted body clock, Grace Murphy’s playlist will send you off

Debussy – Clair de Lune
The French term for ‘moonlight’, this piece is breathtakingly beautiful and altogether relaxing. Unfortunately it features on the Twilight soundtrack, which is an abomination in itself. Take a celebrated piano suite, add some sparkly vampires in a tree and you’ve got sacrilege, but the hypnotising power of this movement cannot be denied.

J.S. Bach – The Goldberg Variations Aria
More piano music! This masterpiece was commissioned by an insomniac Count, who liked to be played to sleep on restless nights. It’s one of Bach’s greatest masterpieces, and was intended to send its audience to sleep. Tragic, but effective.

Edward Elgar – Enigma Variations [13 to 15]
Elgar composed the original melody to this work as he was daydreaming, so it seems appropriate that it might send a weary listener to sleep. The variations are inspired by his close friends. Awh!

Gustav Holst – Neptune (from The Planets suite)
This astrologically themed movement is quite trippy – or as trippy as music could be in the 1920s. Prepare to descend into sleep filled with murky dreams haunted by Spielberg aliens.

Johannes Brahms – Lullaby
A classic. If you’re not familiar with this lullaby in some form, you must have been raised by the Dursleys. The slow, calming melody is sure to lull you into a deep slumber – this time featuring bunny wabbits, fluffy clouds, and Charlie the Unicorn.

Frédéric Chopin – Nocturnes [Opus 9]
I challenge you to listen through this dreamy triplet without feeling at least a little drowsy. Chuck Norris himself would bow down and snore before the magnificent power of Frédéric Chopin.

Antonio Vivaldi – Summer (from The Four Seasons)
This one is a bit too ‘upbeat’ for my liking, but is well known as a classical piece to relax to. It’s intended to capture that sleepy, laidback feeling of a warm summer’s day (though perhaps not in this sod-ridden country), ending in a thunderstorm – a bit you mightn’t find that useful when getting some kip.

Ludwig van Beethoven – Moonlight Sonata (first movement)
I do like piano music. This is technically a love song (written by Beethoven for a teenage student. Ew…) but it’s incredibly relaxing and will most definitely induce a deep slumber, if not a coma.

Erik Satie – Gymnopedie No. 1
Another piano classic it might be, but Satie’s seminal masterpiece is the classic sleepytime song. Imagine sitting back in a candlelit room with a glass of fine red wine and just being… Aaaaaah.