Film Review: Middle Aged Mayhem

Title: Jackass 3D

Director: Jeff Tremaine

Starring: Johnny Knoxville, Bam Margera, Ryan Dunn, Steve-O.

Release Date: November 5th

Finally, we’ve found the reason 3D exists. The Jackass boys are back and with far more money than sense. Armed with some of the most expensive cameras ever made, they’ve created a film that is at once grotesque, puerile and genuinely hilarious.

Jackass was a hugely formative part of our early lives, and was one of the defining cultural phenomena of the early 2000s. It inspired hundreds of us young, impressionable teens to do dangerously stupid things for no particular reason. All we needed was a skateboard, a bowling ball and a beloved family pet. Finally, we have the Jackass film that our mediocre, apathetic generation has been waiting for and it’s utterly brilliant.

It would be doing readers a disservice to discuss any of the sketches, pranks and stunts that make up the bulk of the film, as the surprise each one delivers is part of what makes them so entertaining. You’ll just have to trust me when I say they’re hilarious. Granted, some of them are disgusting to an unprecedented extent, particularly the clear obsession the Jackass boys have with faecal matter.

The humour grows stale after a while and it’s certainly not a good film for a first date, unless you’ve found a girl with particularly discerning preferences.

It is notable just how much the crew have aged since we last saw them, especially when their unscripted conversation hints at the alcoholism and failures of their lives after the TV show was cancelled. Regardless of the wrinkles, they still pull off some of their most audaciously immature pieces yet (‘Fart-Trumpet’ springs to mind), and considering their age, it’s remarkable one or more of them weren’t killed during production. Johnny Knoxville in particular, who is nearly forty, narrowly escapes death on several occasions throughout the piece.

Most remarkable of all is how fresh it still feels. Apart from a slight over-reliance on ‘Preston Lacy-is-fat’ jokes, it’s generally original without lessening the nostalgia of the whole experience. The addition of high-speed cameras adds a huge amount to the Jackass experience, and the Rocky sketches alone are turned from a standard punch in the face to something genuinely visually remarkable. It took James Cameron $500 million to do what Knoxville and co. did with a fish, a midget and an utter lack of shame.

In a Nutshell: A throwback to our teenage years with an all-new stunning aesthetic, Jackass 3D is not to be missed. Just don’t bring your girlfriend.

Jon Hozier-Byrne