Just the ticket

After the release of his second album Tickety-Boo, Dublin’s hardest working singer-songwriter Colm Lynch drops into UCD to chat about his latest album and new band with Ciarán Ó Braonáin

Three years on from A Whisper in a Riot, Dublin troubador Colm Lynch is back with an altogether more energetic affair than his debut, with Tickety-Boo. “It’s a bit more rock and roll; it’s a bigger sound. It was recorded differently and it’s heavily influenced… there’s a bit of everything I like in there.”
A major attraction of Lynch’s sophomore effort is that it goes close to capturing the intensity and passion for which Lynch’s live performances are renowned. This was a central aim during the album’s production; Lynch felt it essential that the work give an accurate representation of what the group is about. “This album we recorded live, all the players together, everybody lookin’ at each other and doin’ it and feelin’ it… We captured the vibe, the energy; and when you come and see a live show you’re pretty much going to get what you hear on the album.”
Since the formation of the band, a new lease of life has been breathed into some of his earlier work. Admitting that his own personal vision was never completely realised on his first record, Lynch reveals: “When I play the songs from the first album with the new band I think, ‘Fuck! This is what I wanted it to sound like! The very first time we got together… we all knew that this was gonna work.”
Tickety-Boo has already met with high critical acclaim. Hot Press’ recent review drew similarities with Springsteen, Van Morrison, Neil Young and Bob Dylan, among others. Despite being flattered at being mentioned in the same breath as some of “the biggest artists of all time,” Lynch also confesses to tiring somewhat of the constant comparisons which can sometimes belittle his own personal style and talents.
“I wanted people to go into the lyrics and how the songs were constructed because they’re well put together and they’re well thought out. And the musicians got very little plaudits and there’s some beautiful musicianship on the album. I realise that the album is very heavily influenced and it’s not doing anything new… It’s old school rock n’ roll… [but] at the same time I do think it has its own merits; the lyrics are good and the songs are well constructed. The passion that’s in the album is mine. It’s not Dylan’s and it’s not Springsteen’s, it’s mine.”
Despite much critical recognition Lynch has found it quite difficult to really break into the big time, but hopes are high that Tickety-Boo will be the spark that sets the Dublin singer’s career alight. If you get the chance to catch Lynch live in action, do not pass it up: it really is an experience.