Getting preppy with it

Can the cliché get any more… clichéed? A college newspaper printing a shoot about preppy style. But cast those assertions into the stinky lake in front of the library, and read on. Preppy is a style that we college-goers have perfected; clean, utilitarian and functional. It’s a student’s bread and butter.

It gives the illusion of being a presentable, fully-functioning adult when, let’s face it, your mother still does your washing. Nothing screams put-me-on-a-graduate-programme-please more than the preppy style does.

It’s simple, it’s presentable, and it does its best not to offend anyone, in sharp contrast with many current trends. Beginning in the late 1940s, ubiquitous as an Ivy League college’s form of dress, it quickly spread throughout America.

Heavily influenced by the various pursuits of the upper classes who attended these colleges, motifs such as sports stripes, equestrian details, and nautical-themed accessories began to merge with mainstream fashion and formed the preppy style.

This mode of apparel is surprisingly simple to create, but choosing simple, well-made pieces is key to creating this clean no-nonsense look. Picking up a classic-cut skirt, that can be worn with tights and socks during the winter, or a pair of tartan print skinny cut trousers are equally manageable.

Wear a plain white shirt with an oversized jacket to keep the look current. The oversized jumper still remains a winter staple for many, choose one with a crewneck in an Aran or mohair knit, and team it with a crisp white button down shirt with the collar peeping out.

An easy piece to incorporate into your wardrobe this season is the pinafore, worn underneath shirts or roll neck jumpers, with knee socks or woollen tights, it is an easy way to update your wardrobe to this latest trend.

Colour-wise, it’s best to keep the look monochrome with maybe a shock of contrasting colours, and the incorporation of a simple tartan print to maintain this unassuming look. Choose a good bag that can be used every day; a material like high-quality leather, which is extremely durable and looks even better with age, is key.

A simple leather bag, combined with vintage headbands and simple gold accessories can be worn alongside all of these outfits. Brogues are the ubiquitous preppy shoe, but it is also good to change seemingly preppy outfits up with a high boot or a slip on shoe with some detailing.

The high street is ablaze with preppy pieces, from the simple pinafore to tartan skirts and trousers, which can all be interchanged and styled up or down very simply.

Rachael (Left)
Tights- Penneys €2
Tartan skirt- Vintage store €15
Knitted Jumper- Shotsy €24.50
Boots- River Island- €80
Bag –River Island €95
Earrings – Topshop €6.50

Luise  (Right)
Brogues- River Island €33
White shirt- Zara €34.99
Pinafore- Topshop €64
Tartan blazer- Shotsy €35
Earrings- Asos.com €6

Rachael
Tartan skirt- Vintage store €15
Cream Top- Topshop €33
Boots- River Island €80
Bag- River Island €95
Boyfriend coat – Topshop €75
Earrings- H&M €3.95

Luise
Trousers- River Island €40
White shirt- Zara €34.99
Mohair Jumper- Shotsy- €25
Flats- River Island- €33
Earrings- Asos €7
Silk headscarf- Vintage shop €3

Fashion Editor: Emily Mullen
Chief Stylist: Christin McWeeney
Models: Luise O’Dwyer and Rachael Kennedy
Make-up artist: Alex Valentine
Location: Richview