Film: Top Ten – Movie Facial Hair

Left with the daunting task of compiling a list of the best facial hair in the history of cinema, Catherine Maguire braves the hairy beasts head on

10. Tom Selleck – Nothing worth mentioning

You know the guy I’m talking about, he played Monica’s older boyfriend Richard in Friends. You’ll know him by his killer ’tache. This is one of those incidents where the soup strainer precedes the grower.

9. Clark Gable – Gone with the Wind

This is possibly the most refined moustache that has ever graced the big screen – ideal for anyone who doesn’t give a damn.

8. Daniel Day Lewis – There Will Be Blood

Daniel Day Lewis – There Will Be Blood

Rugged. Thought-provoking. Oscar-winning. Oh, and there was some acting involved too.

7. Joaquin Phoenix – I’m Still Here

Like the bizarre love child of Johnny Cash and Zach Galifianakis, poor Joaquin developed a tragic case of crazy beard.

6. Daniel Day Lewis – Gangs of New York

Day Lewis scores again. Terrible film, awful accents: one cracking moustache.

5. Harrison Ford – The Fugitive

This magnificent monochrome hairpiece has made its mark on Ford’s career. We reckon this must be one of Osama bin Laden’s favourite films.

4. Chia Hui Liu – Kill Bill Vol. 2

Anyone that has lived for a thousand years and can throw a beard over their shoulder deserves a reverential mention.

3. Sir Ian McKellen – The Lord of the Rings

Gandalf the Grey is the embodiment of the old wizard, with his staff, lopsided hat and bushy beard. Following a fight with a Balrog, he gets out the GHD and some bleach and emerges as the sleek new Gandalf the White.

2. Johnny Depp – Pirates of the Caribbean

Johnny Depp is the only actor that cannot even properly grow a beard and still look damn sexy while trying to. It is certainly a creative attempt at chin fur.

1. Charlie Chaplin – The Great Dictator

So influential, Hitler nicked his look – straddling the razor thin line between comedy and fascism.