TV: Spice on ice

Dancing On Ice still has that wow factor as the show enters its penultimate stage, writes Donna Doyle

What fun things do you do on Sunday evenings? Go for a drink with the lads? Woo some sexy ladies? Partake in some petty vandalism? Well, you may feel like your Sabbath is being fulfilled, but you await enlightenment. And that, my friend, comes in the form of Dancing On Ice.

Oh yes, you think you have it all, well quite frankly, you have not lived until you have seen Richard and Judy’s daughter demolish her own integrity and join Kerry Katona in a bid to repair her tattered life. If that wasn’t enough to lure you into the sequined grasp of ITV’s most heterosexual show, Vanilla Ice is there too.

For those of you not confident enough to venture outdoors for fun, Dancing On Ice, in its sixth successful series, sees an array of “celebrities” and their professional skating partners skate in front of a panel of judges. Trained by former Olympic champions Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean, each couple must master a new routine and skating skill each week to much comic effect – intentional or otherwise.

Following a public vote, one couple is axed each week after an intense skate-off between the two lowest scoring ensembles, and consequently the deciding vote from the “ice panel”. This panel is comprised of former Olympic figure skater Robin Cousins, sharp-tongued choreographer Jason Gardiner and Baby Spice.

Last week saw the departure of everyone’s favourite mess, Kerry Katona. Unable to master the intricate spin, jump and step sequence of the “Ultimate Skills Week”, the former Atomic Kitten star left the show. Battling it out for the figurative crown remains reality TV star Jeff Brazier, who warned his competitors to “expect me to pull out all kinds of crazy disco moves”.

Loose Women star Denise Welch, Eastenders heart-throb Sam Attwater and children’s TV presenter Laura Hamilton await said crazy moves. A surprising addition to the lineup is Iraqi war hero and Victoria Cross medallist, Johnson Beharry VC.

For me, the highlight of the show comes in the form of Mr Vanilla Ice; not only for his surprisingly genuine skating skills, but for the immaculate array of puns that his presence provides. Gardiner’s feeling that “a little bit of vanilla ice is melting away” was only topped by the response: “It may feel like its melting – that’s cos I’m heatin’ up out here.” If that is not TV gold, I don’t know what is.

Dancing On Ice airs on TV3 on Sunday evenings at 6:30pm and then again at 9:30pm. Catch up on last week’s episode on tv3.ie/DancingOnIce