Film Review: Easy Entertainment

Title: Easy A

Directed By: Will Gluck

Starring: Emma Stone, Amanda Bynes, Lisa Kudrow.

In Cinemas: 22nd October.

While you could make certain assumptions about Easy A being yet another dull teen movie, this is a film that packs a punch. Defying all expectations, Easy A was incredibly entertaining and I would go so far as to say it was one of the funniest films I have seen in a long time.

The films revolves around the main character, Olive (Emma Stone), pretending that she loses her virginity, resulting in everyone thinking that she’s a slut. Instead of trying to correct people’s assumptions, she cleverly decides that she’ll be badass if she carries on this rumour. She pretends to sleep with a shed load of other guys (in exchange for gift cards and discounts to shops such as Bath and Body Works) until it gets to the point where she is mistaken for an actual prostitute.

The God squad (led by Amanda Bynes) object to her fictional lifestyle and decide to protest her very presence in the school. The film is then interwoven with scenes of Olive making a webcast explaining what really happened. Despite how tedious and ridiculous the plot might sound, it is genuinely funny and original, as well as making commentary on societal attitudes to women’s sexuality.

The cast is excellent, especially some of the supporting characters. Olive’s parents (Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci) play relatively minor roles in terms of plot, but add serious comedic value when they’re on screen. Emma Stone continues her streak of brilliant acting fused with genuine comic talent.

Naturally, the film is not exactly flawless. The webcast connecting the whole film was distractingly cringeworthy, and the film tries a little too hard to be quirky and random at times; it’s quite apparent that the writers were trying to emulate Juno’s Diablo Cody’s dialogue style. In addition, the film’s anti-Christian plot becomes a bit irritating, driving the point home just a tad too much.

However, what the film does well, it does really well, and what it does badly will only bother the kind of person whose job is to slightly over-analyse it.

In a nutshell: It may not exactly be groundbreaking, but it is a mildly diverting comedy.