Festival Flashback: Indiependence

As the wellies, tents and (for some utter clowns) Native American headdresses are packed away for another year, Sean Hayes takes a look back at the Indiependence Music & Arts Festival, in the second of a series on the best Irish festivals that took place over the summer.

INDIEPENDENCE: 1st – 3rd August 2014

Indiependence is one of those music festivals that you can still say, “I was at that before it got big.” In possibly one of the nicest spots to spend a weekend, Indiependence attendees were treated to a host of some of the best new talent Ireland has to offer right now. As one of the more reasonably priced festivals this summer, Indiependence offered great music in a great location.

Friday’s Main Stage welcomed some of the most promising and exciting new names on the Irish music scene in the form of Walking On Cars and Tvvins. Tvvins were warm and friendly towards the smattering of a crowd but the set of only half an hour was too short for any real connection to be made between band and listener. Kerry band, Walking On Cars, proved extremely popular with the audience and performed with an air of experience far beyond their early years.

The Big Top Stage also welcomed the up and coming, Dublin band, We Cut Corners, who were well received by a growing audience. Headlining the Big Top Stage was Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip. Unfortunately for the hip-hop duo, Tom Odell, who played the Main Stage at the same time, proved to be a more popular act, especially with younger audience members. This was a pity as the producer and rapper played a highly energetic show, which would have been enjoyed by the other festival goers, had they gotten the opportunity.

Tom Odell, however, was the clear highlight of Friday night. His dramatic and dark performance captivated the crowd as they watched him, at times, completely lose himself in the moment.

Saturday’s line-up continued to impress with names such as Hudson Taylor, Delorentos and White Lies taking to the Main Stage. However, the biggest excitement of the night came with the The Coronas playing The Big Top stage. Unfortunately, the throng of the audience forced security to restrict access to the stage. It would have been a better idea for The Coronas to play the Main Stage.

Elsewhere, on Sunday, Dublin based band Color//Sound promised good things to come with their set on the Beer Hall Stage. The Minutes played a disappointing half hour set where there were clear timing issues with the band’s drummer and other instruments. The end of their set also saw the drummer smash his drum kit. Their unimpressive performance called for the band to need reminding that that they are far from rockstars yet.

The clear winner of the day, however, was Hozier, who drew the largest crowd of the entire festival. The ecstatic audience faithfully sang every word to each song. It was a thrilling moment to hear the words of ‘Take Me To Church’ resonate throughout the deer park.

It’s clear Indiependence is going to grow in the years to come. Once festival organizers learn from the few mistakes made and continue to build on what they have, Indiependence will soon become the next big thing to be at.

Verdict: Get in on this while it’s still small. Big things are coming.