Fashion | Let's Play Ball

Now that we’re in the run up to society ball season, Aisling Conlon checks out what to wear on the dance floor this year.

The hotels are booked, the posters are up and the tickets are selling out fast. From now until February, Belfield will be buzzing with talk of everything from Strauss to Swing. But we must not forget the most important element… what are you going to wear?
This pink satin dress from Karen Millen is one of our favourite finds. The swirling, gathered ruffles echo this season’s Prada collection perfectly. The accompanying black satin shoes are also from Karen Millen. With gathers of satin on the top of the heel they are the perfect match for this dress and are something that you will wear again and again.
If you want to wear a striking colour, a great alternative to the ubiquitous purple of this season, is teal blue. It’s bold, sophisticated yet fun. It’s all you need!
Metallics are another great option. There are beautiful gold and silver dresses out there at the moment. Silver can sometimes be a bit harsh, especially on paler skin tones. This gunmetal grey prom dress from Monsoon is fantastic. It’s delicately scattered with diamantes and sequins, which give it sparkle without making you look like a Christmas decoration.
If full length is what you’re looking for, Monsoon also has some great options. There are lots of Grecian inspired looks out there. In keeping with the metallic theme, this flowing full-length dress with a plaited halter-neck strap is beautiful. You can see every bit of detail in the alternating panels of fabric in the skirt as you walk.

Photographer: Colin Scally
Styling: Aisling Conlon and Ekaterina Tikoniouk

All merchandise pictured is from
Coast, St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2
Karen Millen, Grafton Street, Dublin 2 and
Monsoon, Grafton Street, Dublin 2.

Teal satin dress €205, Karen Millen
Teal shoes €200, Karen Millen

Pink dress €250, Karen Millen
Shoes €180, Karen Millen
Blue and silver bubble dress €200, Coast
Platform satin shoes €70, Monsoon

Black and gold maxi dress, €250

Gunmetal grey sequined prom dress €250, Monsoon

Gold layered dress €250, Monsoon