Fashion / Burlesque is more

Thanks to the upsurge in burlesque acts like Dita Von Teese it has never been a better time to get corseted, writes Bridget Fitzsimons.

BURLESQUE HAS never been hotter. While some may be comfortable going for the total burlesque look, those who are shyer will be happy to know that it is easy to achieve a burlesque image without flashing too much flesh.

From its beginning in dancehalls, burlesque has come a long way. It is characterised by corsets, elbow length gloves, stockings, suspenders and various fascinators and accessories, but can be made everyday with simple adaptations.

In finding a corset, money should be spent. You really do get what you pay for. A good corset should be thought of as an investment, a piece that will live in your wardrobe for a lifetime, brightening and uplifting a variety of outfits.

Instead of vamping yourself up daily, a corset can be worn with anything from a fitted pencil skirt or even a pair of skinny jeans with a pretty cardigan for a simple day look. A gorgeous night look can be achieved with a fitted skirt and some killer heels.

Jewellery is key in the burlesque look, with pearls and lace being imperative. Lace veils on pretty fascinators are ideal and can be easily made by anyone with a designer flair. It really is so easy to pop into a material shop, buy a pretty clip and attach a nice veil onto the clip for a classic look. Stockings and a suspender belt are also a must for any aspiring burlesque starlet.

Honey Trap in Dun Laoghaire is a prime spot for any budding Dita Von Teese, selling corsets, waspies (which sit under the chest and define the waist), suspender belts, stockings and a very wide variety of unique accessories. As well as in-depth advice and help on what to wear and how to style oneself, the girls at Honey Trap are offering a 20 per cent discount to all UCD students.

There really is no reason why one shouldn’t embrace a bit of burlesque glamour. There is no look that celebrates the beautiful and the feminine more and it is far easier than most people think. So head down to Honey Trap and find the burlesque diva within!

Honey Trap
16 Cross Avenue
Dun Laoghaire
Co Dublin
01-2844466
info@honeytrap-retail.com
www.honeytrap-retail.com

Prices

Marian
Corset €260
Fascinator €40

Aoife
Corset €220
Bolero €30
Headpiece €95

Sarah
Corset €200
Hat €40

Everything else is models’ own. High heeled black shoes Marian and Sarah wears are Melissa’s from Honey Trap.