Fashion & Beauty | Tough Skinned

A lesson in autumn skincare from Ken Boylan – Autumn is here, the weather is getting colder and when it comes to skincare, the holiday is over, writes Lisa Lavelle.

Whether you’ve been abroad baking in the sun, or at home slapping on the fake tan, our skin takes a lot of abuse over the summer. Otwo called up Ken Boylan; regular make up artist for Off the Rails and one half of Boylan and Balfe makeup artists, to ask about skincare and make up tips for this coming autumn.

Even when you’re on a budget you can look really glamorous

As temperatures drop, it’s essential to adjust your skincare routine.

“Make sure that you’re using the right skincare for the right season”. Ken explains. Luckily, he remembers what it’s like to be a student. Late nights, whether for studying or for less wholesome reasons, take their toll on your skin.

“Late nights out, drinking and partying a lot… you really have to hydrate your skin.” This means drinking plenty of water and extra moisturising. Ken’s skincare brand of choice for students is La Roche-Posay. For men he recommends the L’Oreal For Men skincare range. “Men are thinking about their skincare more and more nowadays” he adds.

Go hell for leather for smoky eyes

As well as skincare, Ken also gave us the low-down on make-up trends for Autumn 2008. He describes this summer’s trends as “quite fun, lots of bright colours in blushers and lipsticks”.

Although he says that looks for the autumn are still “very much eighties inspired”, he points out that they’re turning towards the “darker side of the eighties”. This means more dramatic, ‘gothic’ looks.

This autumn’s look centres around dark smoky eyes, with lots of plums and purples. For nights out, combine sultry eyes with darker ‘berry’ shades for lips. “Go hell for leather for smoky eyes”, Ken advises.
For a daytime, college make-up, Ken recommends a more natural look; “rich, brown colours on the eyes”, and for lips and cheeks “natural, peachy tones”.

“Make sure to blend it all in” he emphasises. Ken would like to “stamp out heavy, caked make-up” and advises students to keep their make-up as natural as possible, sticking with their own skin tone.

If, however, you’d like a bit of extra colour, he suggests Rimmel’s Instant Tan in medium, or for longer lasting fake tan, the L’Oreal range. He stresses the importance of exfoliating and moisturising before applying tan, especially on hands, feet and elbows.
Of course after the summer, the only thing suffering more than our skin is our bank balance. When asked to recommend some budget buys for students, Ken comes up with the goods. “You don’t need to spend a fortune to look good”, he insists.
Rimmel Renew & Lift foundation is his recommended budget buy. For eye and lip colours he opts for Bourjois and L’Oreal. “Even when you’re on a budget you can look really glamorous”, he concludes, “There’s no reason why you shouldn’t.” Armed with this advice, there’s no reason indeed.

To book a personalised make up course with Boylan and Balfe, see www.boylanandbalfe.com