Fashion | Back to the Check Republic

Now that we are half-way through autumn/winter 2008, or semester one as fashion civilians call it, it’s time to have a closer look at one of the biggest trends of the season: checks. They’re everywhere, and going nowhere fast, except into the wardrobe of every discerning shopper.

A/W’08 is a season that will not be left out of the back catalogue of many designers. The trends are bright, bold and want your attention. The range of styles on show ensure that you can retain your individuality whilst being bang on trend. Every style-conscious student’s dream, really.

Checks are one of the favourite and most wearable styles to look out and a great feature of these is that you don’t need to spend your weekly food budget to achieve the look. A well-placed scarf, such as the ones pictured from Topshop and H&M, are all you need. At @8 or less, it’s a bargain basement way to tap into the trend.

Accessories, such as the ones mentioned above, are the best way for the more reserved to wear this eye-catching look. If, however, you want to be noticed, go for a block of pattern. Such as these amazing skinny check jeans, pictured. Be warned, they’re not for the faint-hearted!

Outfit 1 (Helen) Check jeans €53 Topshop Leather jacket €182 Topshop
Outfit 1 (Helen): Check jeans €53, Topshop; Leather jacket €182, Topshop
Outfit 2 (Elaine) Shirt €22.90, Jeans €44.90 Topshop  Outfit 3 (Rob) Jeans €44.90 H&M, Jacket €44.90 H&M, Scarf €7.90 H&M
Outfit 2 (Elaine) Shirt €22.90, Jeans €44.90 Topshop ... Outfit 3 (Rob) Jeans €44.90 H&M, Jacket €44.90 H&M, Scarf €7.90 H&M
Outfit 4 (Helen) Upper 5th skirt €60 Green check scarf €8 Green pumps €38 Topshop  Outfit 5 (Elaine) Grey roll neck jumper €22.90 H&M Skirt €65 Topshop Boots €114 Topshop  Outfit 6 (Rob) Long sleeved t-shirt €7.90 H&M Check short sleeved shirt €14.90 H&M Jeans €44.90 H&M
Outfit 4 (Helen) Upper 5th skirt €60, Green check scarf €8, Green pumps €38, Topshop --- Outfit 5 (Elaine) Grey roll neck jumper €22.90 H&M; Skirt €65 Topshop; Boots €114 Topshop --- Outfit 6 (Rob) Long sleeved t-shirt €7.90, H&M; Check short sleeved shirt, €14.90 H&M; Jeans €44.90 H&M

Click each picture to enlarge it.