Ed’s letter: April 14th, 2009

AND NOW, THE END IS NEAR…

Hello again loyal Otwo readers. Lo and behold, we have reached our second last issue. Having set out with noble intentions, our writers are now close to being fully formed hacks, destined for a lifetime’s work with The Cavan Daily. But don’t worry, we’re not gone yet, as we have another terrific issue in store.

otwoIndie-rock nerds and fashionistas rejoice as we speak to arguably the coolest weirdo on the planet – Noah Lennox of Animal Collective and Panda Bear renown. We also made friends with The Enemy, philosophised with Maximo Park and danced (not literally) with Laurent Garnier. And with the UCD Ball fast approaching, Planet of Sound also looked at the phenomenon of rubbish bands reuniting for that much needed pension fund.
David Kitt, or ‘Kittser’ as he prefers to be called, spoke at length about the perils of alcohol (boo!) and the advantages of drug-taking (hmmm). Punk rebels NOFX revealed their love of golf to Alison Lee and Eskimo Joe discussed spaghetti with Vincent O’Boyle.
In a bizarre coincidence, spaghetti also features in our food section, as Kate Rothwell discusses her favourite meal. Elsewhere, the restaurant Yo Thai is reviewed and you’ll never guess what type of food it specialises in. Finally, Colin Sweetman undertakes the decidedly difficult task of identifying the top 5 best takeaway outlets in Ireland.
As usual, Soapbox picks a topic of agitation and runs with it, Mystic Mittens grows ever more bitter, Listings picks out the gigs worth attending, album reviews haplessly tries to influence the sales of Flo Rida’s latest musical masterpiece and if What’s Hot and What’s Not still needs explaining after eleven issues, then frankly I’m worried dear reader.
Our fashion section again reminds us all of the need to wear clothes that look good, travel takes us to Minneapolis and Nice and Icon, inspired by Kittser’s drug comments, looks at the career of part time writer and full time maniac – Hunter S. Thompson. In addition, our team attempt to counteract the negative vibes spread by Mittens with the decidedly sentimental conceit of spreading the love.
TV buries The Simpsons once and for all, as well as reviewing The Apprentice, otherwise known as that show where prissy business types endlessly flounce about while Alan Sugar yells with increasing senility. For film, The Boat That Rocked does just that and Let the Right One is to artsy intellectual types exactly what Twilight was for screamoholic teeny-boppers.
In Art, Frequency caters for the brain’s left half, while theatre serves as the link between Arthur Miller and penguins.
Phew… And then there was one.

Kate & Paul