Editors' Letter: October 21st, 2008

Hello again!

I know, that was a long two weeks, but don’t worry, Otwo is finally back to get you through those cold October mornings and provide you with all the info on the latest cultural happenings. You’ll think Christmas has come early and forget all about that whole recession malarkey once you discover what’s in store for this issue.

All you literature buffs out there should prepare to experience pure nirvana, as we interview the legend that is Salman Rushdie. Rushdie took time out of his busy schedule to provide us with some illuminating insights and tips on how to write good.

Music aficionados are also well looked after with British indie-rockers, Razorlight and Belgian rock gods, dEUS under the spotlight, along with one of America’s most promising hip hop acts Iglu and Hartly and metal maniacs Extreme. Meanwhile, Gigabyte examines the increasingly trendy electro gigs and Show Patrol alerts you to the must see bands of the fortnight.

Film-wise, we look at the Coen’s latest comedic escapade, Burn After Reading along with Rick Gervais starring in Ghost Town. Plus, we interview Mark Doherty, the writer and star of the hotly anticipated A Film With Me In It. TV puts two starkly contrasting series under the critical spectrum in The Wire and Little Britain USA.

Our art page for this issue focuses on Fergus Martin’s latest exhibition in the Hugh Lane Gallery, while Otwo celebrates the anniversary of the death of acclaimed singer songwriter Elliot Smith. In theatre, Our Country’s Good, the latest Dramsoc production gets the critical overhaul, while we also interview the artistic director of Cirque Du Soleil about the unique experience which the show provides. Food and Drink investigates the standard of coffee on campus, while we also talk to Jackie Spillane about Farmers Markets.

Soapbox this week casts its wrath on the far from unusual phenomenon of drunk people on campus and Mittens is back again with some more of her terrifying predictions. What’s Hot and What’s Not continues to divide the cool and contemporary from the irritating and mundane, while Voxpops persists with its pressing interrogations.

Yours,
Kate & Paul