Editors' Letter: November 18th, 2008

Holidays are coming, holidays are coming…

A bit premature? Eh, well at least we are a distraction from feigning interest in your course work. This is the last copy of Otwo that you will hold in your little hands until 2009. We’ll miss you just as much as you’ll miss us. Honest.
Luckily for you, we’ve crammed this issue more full of goodies than your Christmas stocking. We spoke to the painfully funny and frequently misquoted Tommy Tiernan as he releases Bovinity, the DVD that we all have on our Santa wishlist.

Soapbox takes its sharp tongue out on the scourge of our times, the Internet, and What’s Hot and What’s Not lays down the law for trendy types. In music we cast a critical eye over the college gig experience in Gigabyte, and folk out as we speak to singer-songwriters supremes; Seth Lakeman and Declan O’Rourke. We can’t stay away from electro either and chat to instrumental aficionado Max Tundra, as well as the galactic Le Galaxie. Paul Heaton steps away from the Beautiful South and in to the solo spotlight, Dengue Fever give us a taste of Cambodian rock and the Walkmen are our indie fix for the fortnight.

Arthurian drama and American dramatics are what’s on the gogglebox as we look at BBC series Merlin as well as reality TV’s latest, America’s Got Talent. Film is also going to set your heart racing with thriller Body of Lies along with Germany’s latest, Baader Meinh of Complex.

Art gets shady at the new IMMA exhibition In Praise of Shadows and theatre goes all Freudian for Oedipus Loves You. Our icon of the fortnight is the voluptuous Bettie Page, who certainly wasn’t known for wrapping up in the winter styles that we’ll be examining in fashion.

Tanzania and Prague are the places we wish we were in travel, and we get all overcome with nostalgia as we look back at the top albums and films from the past year that will stick in our memories well into the new year.

Ah 2009… Exams will be behind us and Otwo will be back. Until then, put aside those silly library books and have a peak at what we have to offer – see you in January!

Yours,
Kate & Paul