Looking for something different than the ordinary sweet cupcake? Try Cassandra Tooley’s take on a savoury one with a cornbread base and goats cheese frosting topping with the added delight of rashers and parsley sprinkles.
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups of cornmeal
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
1. Preheat oven to 425F, and line a tray with 12 cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl mix all of the dry ingredients. Add all of the wet ingredients (including the egg) and mix well.
3. Fill liners until 3/4 full. Bake for 18 minutes, or until golden brown in colour.
Goat Cheese Frosting
- 1 brick of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 small package of goat cheese (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup of milk
1. Mix together the cream cheese and goat cheese. Add the milk as needed to reach desired consistency. (You want the frosting to be thick enough to “hold” when you pipe it onto the cupcake).
2. Add your mix to a piping bag. Using a star tip pipe the frosting onto your cupcake
Rashers and Parsley Sprinkles
- Four slices of bacon
- One branch of fresh parsley
1. Wash the parsley and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut it into small pieces and sprinkle over the frosting.
2. In a pan on medium- high heat, pan dye the rashers until they are crispy. Pat off the excess oil with a paper towel. Cut the bacon into small pieces and sprinkle on top of the cupcakes.