Column: Heathers – January 22nd 2013

Hello everyone!

Welcome back! We hope you all had a wonderful break from all of your hard work! We certainly did. I think myself and Louise beat our record for the most selection boxes eaten in the space of a week so we’re quite proud of ourselves.

We’re only just beginning 2013 and we have a lot going on already! We recently found out that we’ve been nominated for the Meteor Choice Music Prize which we’re very happy about! Ten Irish albums have been nominated and the winner will be announced on the 7th of March at an event in Vicar Street. We’ve been nominated alongside some seriously fantastic albums so we’re thrilled.  As well as this, we also won Best Irish Act award at the Entertainment.ie awards last week which we were delighted about!

We released our second single off our album Kingdom back in December and we just finished making the music video for it last week! We worked with director Hugh O’Connor and cameraman extraordinaire Jamie Tanner, who we also worked with on our video for the previous single ‘Forget me Knots’. The second single is called ‘Lions, Tigers, Bears’ and the video will be released very, very soon! It features the amazing Cillian Scott who plays Tommy in the Irish drama Love/Hate. Watch this space!

2013 is the year of touring. We plan on releasing our album Kingdom worldwide over the coming year and to kick things off we have just signed a record deal with Sony Canada which is very exciting. We’ve been to Canada once before and adored it so we’re looking forward to returning!

As I mentioned in a previous article, we’re heading to Los Angeles at the end of February to play at the Oscar Wilde event which takes place during Oscar week. Louise and I have made a pact that we’re not allowed to leave Ireland unless we’ve watched every film nominated for an award. May take a while! We will also be playing a gig on the 22nd of February in the Hotel Café in LA which we’re very excited about.

Hope everyone is settling back into college. It will be summer in no time!

Until next time,

Ellie and Louise  xx

We have a signed copy of Heathers’ latest album Kingdom to give away. For more details, keep an eye on our Facebook page this week at facebook.com/universityobserver.