CD Review: Noah and the Whale – Peaceful, the World Lays Me Down

Artist: Noah and The Whale
Album: Peaceful, the World Lays me Down
Rating: B

London folk-poppers Noah and the Whale are far from revolutionary or experimental in sound, but their debut album Peaceful, The World Lays me Down is nearly impossible not to like.

The name of the band I have discovered came from Noah Baumbach and one of his films, The Squid and the Whale. For those who have seen the film, it’s that kind of thing; kooky, nostalgic and a just a wee bit angsty at times.

There are mandolins, violins, handclapping and the most whistling I’ve heard since Paul Simons ‘Call me Al.’
The tracks are very easy to get into; some are sweet and upbeat like the single ‘Five years time’, while others sound as though they were written in darkened bedrooms.

Many of their songs sound like they could fit nicely into a Wes Anderson film. Laura Marling, former band member, intermits with vocals throughout an album riddled with references to animals, zoos, silly little moments, love and death.

Upon repeated listening, the lack of diversity on the album became repetitive. However, it is worth the listen. They have also made one of their singles free for download on their website.

Most listeners will either love this album or at least agree that it’s good. However musical cynics may think it is music you listen to sitting alone, watching all the other kids playing from your bedroom window.

In a Nutshell: An album to suit fans of the Arcade Fire who fancy a quiet night-in.