Bowling for the Academy

Loveable rock rogues Bowling For Soup have defied many over the years to earn a steady following and award commendations. Singer Jaret Reddick talks to Grace Duffy about their upcoming album and the changing face of music

Bowling_For_SoupIrreverent, brash, and charming, it is fitting that rock pranksters Bowling For Soup have such a high opinion of Ireland – the land where nothing is taken seriously. Lead singer Jaret Reddick says that in spite of the difficulty involved in booking an Irish show, his band were determined to make it to these shores for an October date.

“We’ve played in Ireland three times now, but when the tour got booked, of course it was left off – but we made it happen. It’s very expensive to go there but for us, it’s not about the money, it’s about the fans so we don’t care, we wanna go, and we’re coming!”

As a band whose image has done them as many favours as disfavour, Jaret says the group – whose latest video ‘My Wena’ features a woman dressed up as a giant penis – have encountered some difficulty in being taken seriously.

“We definitely get dismissed a lot. For the most part, we are received pretty well in the music community, but there are a lot of people that just don’t get it. We’re sort of like the band that submits for bigger tours and get skipped over, because we’re the ‘silly guys’. But our main thing is that we’re having a good time and the fans seem to get it so we’re going to keep doing it until they don’t like it anymore!”

Indeed, the inherent likeability of both the fun loving members and their upbeat tunes has garnered them critical acclaim from both mainstream and rock audiences. Nominated for a Grammy in 2003 for hit single ‘Girl All The Bad Guys Want’, the band will soon be releasing their tenth album, Sorry For Partyin’. Jaret describes the album as “really concise and consistent” and says the band have moved away from the more “experimental” tone of their last two albums, favouring a return to the playful vibe of their earlier work.

“We recorded the album back in February and then we ended up going back to do a couple more songs in June, so we’re very excited to finally get it out there. We definitely feel it’s the best thing we’ve ever done and I know the fans who have heard it so far, their reaction has been really great so it’s exciting.”

As a band that formed in the early nineties, Jaret describes the constant evolution the music industry has undergone and the challenges they’ve faced as a result as “interesting.”

“The internet has been such an amazing thing for music fans, but from a band standpoint it’s been a really big re-education. When we first started, there wasn’t even e-mail and now I’m updating our fans every hour on Twitter. With less people actually buying music, labels are constantly trying to get new music out there. We’ve tried to stay at the forefront of it all but it’s a lot to keep up with, for sure.”

Nonetheless, it would appear that the Bowling For Soup’s hard work has paid off as they remain, fifteen years later, on the tip of everyone’s tongue, and audiences can look forward to being entertained for numerous years to come.

Bowling for Soup play the Academy on Monday the 19th of October. Tickets €25 incl. booking fee.