As real as it gets

Creator of hit podcast London Real, Brian Rose, talks to Jack Walsh about bodybuilders, traditional media, and how podcasting can change someone’s life

Three years ago Brian Rose was living the nine to five lifestyle as a stockbroker working in London’s financial district. On the side he trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) and listened to shows such as the Joe Rogan Experience, each of which weren’t necessarily popular in their own rights, but nonetheless became a major part of Rose’s daily life.

Having quit his job, he spent many hours having insightful conversations with his BJJ coach Nicolas Gregoriades, which resulted in the London Real podcast being born. Live in Rose’s apartment/studio, London Real looks for guests that ultimately “have been humbled. You learn a lot about people from the way they’ve dealt with things in their life.”

Rose sees podcasting as a form of critical education. “I think we need to have conversations with guys who have figured things out in life. I think we’re breeding a different generation of independent thinkers. It’s hard to believe that an audio file can change the way people are.”

A turning point for London Real occurred during a show with Graham Hancock, in which the author began opening up regarding his life views and how he he dealt with his former addictions. For Rose, he saw it as the payoff for every mistake they had made in previous shows, and learned from.

“I said to Nic afterwards, we trained twelve months for that show. Whether it was our mental preparation or not asking the right questions, every episode I tried to get better. It was downloaded a million times on iTunes and we were on Joe Rogan two weeks later.”

London Real would eventually reach 135 episodes, be downloaded over 25 million times on iTunes and viewed over three million times on YouTube, with a wide range of co-hosts joining Rose, such as Suli Breaks (spoken word artist) to Timothy Shieff (Parkour Champion).

London Real’s guests tend to be an eclectic mix ranging from Irvine Welsh to Max Keiser and guests are usually quick to notice the differences between traditional interviews and the long form that podcasts allow for. “Firstly, it’s a ten minute interview. Sometimes the interview has been written so they just want sound bites. It’s like [their] asking the questions [they] know the answers to.”

Rose’s favourite podcast was his interview with Dorian Yates, the six-time Mr Olympia in which Yates told Rose, “’No one ever asked me to do an interview without me having to take my clothes off and posing’. That episode was powerful because we showed that someone like Dorian could have so many facets and that a medium like London Real could do that whereas cable television couldn’t.”

Since 2011, London Real has really found itself a place in a niche market of podcasts that promote critical thinking among its listeners and with 135 episodes and counting, it doesn’t look like Rose has any intention of taking his foot off the accelerator.

London Real can be found at http://www.londonreal.tv/ as well as on iTunes and YouTube