Restaurant Review: All wrapped up

Palatable Mexican food is on offer at great prices in Boojum, as Steven Balbirnie found out

The Millennium Walkway may not be the easiest place to find in the city centre (it’s opposite the Millennium Bridge on the north side of the Liffey), but it’s well worth locating if you’re after quality Mexican food, as nestled away in the heart of it is Boojum.

Looking around, you will notice how environmentally aware this restaurant is, as its recycling station has different compartments for every component of your meal. Not only was I impressed by Boojum’s environmental awareness, but also by the friendly and helpful nature of the staff.

Boojum is also (and probably most importantly) friendly on the pocket, as they offer a student special for €6, consisting of a burrito and a bottle of water or can of soft drink. They also operate a loyalty card scheme whereby every ten meals you buy get you one for free. However, the small price tag doesn’t mean small portions either, as the student special certainly fills the belly of your average ravenous student.

Naturally, I opted for the student special and quickly discovered Boojum’s novel approach to Mexican food. Rather than simply having a set menu, the restaurant allows you to order a customised burrito through a three-part process.

First you select a base from: burrito wrap, fajita wrap, tacos, or you can have your meal served in a bowl or as a salad. After the base, there are four choices of filling: vegetarian, chicken, shredded beef or steak; and you finish off your order by choosing one of four salsa sauces ranging from mild to hot.

The finished burrito is cleverly served in a foil wrapping to keep it together as you eat it. This is an idea that many other outlets could benefit from adopting.

I ordered shredded beef with salsa roja in a burrito wrap. The shredded beef was tender, well-cooked and full of flavour. The salsa roja struck just the right balance between spiciness and smokiness, with neither element overpowering the other. The burrito base contained rice and black beans, which were very filling. All in all, it was a satisfying meal – especially enjoyable in the cold weather.

With good staff, a clean bathroom, a pleasant atmosphere and delicious food at low prices, Boojum is well worth seeking out.

Boojum, Millennium Walkway, Dublin 1. Tel: 01 872 9499