Kill.i.an: Be a loser like me

In this week’s installment of Kill.i.an, Killian Woods gets all sappy and talks about Glee. Gay.

No matter how boring, socially inept, but principally boring people are, they always have something about them that singles them out from the crowd. Something that specifically defines and gives them a niche amongst their friends, or the people around them. This could be a wide range of things.

Maybe you’re the person with the iPod full of crap S Club 7 music that brings the party to the next level, or maybe you’re a level five half-Elf ranger in your Dungeons and Dragons group, or you maybe you’re the person who attends every lecture and shares the notes with those who missed classes. Whatever it is, you won’t be ashamed of it, and if you are, you definitely shouldn’t be.

Last week, my friend kindly gave me a coffee mug as a present. It was such a lovely gesture and made my week after a successive number of crappy days that equated to Hurricane Sandy plus the third world hunger by the square root of Bambi’s Mom being shot down by hunters.

As well as being really appreciative of the present, it also gave me a stark realisation about what defines me. Unlike most other people, I’m defined by a television show that spontaneously erupts into elaborate show tune numbers and also has a target audience of teenage girls and extravagant homosexuals. Yes, I mean Glee.

This isn’t just any Glee mug, it is the Glee-est of mugs that has a colour scheme to put the LGBT movement to shame

Even though I’m most definitely a straight man, it shouldn’t shock me that I’m defined among my friends as the ‘guy who likes Glee’. I make no secret of the fact that I like the show and shouldn’t be surprised when a friend of mine sees a coffee mug that says Glee on it, they say, “Hey, do you know who’d like to drink their morning cup of coffee out of that mug there while dancing around the house to a mashup of ‘I Can’t Go for That’ and ‘You Make My Dreams’? Killian, that’s who”.

From what I get, people are continually baffled how I can genuinely like Glee. But, really, there’s absolutely nothing baffling about it. I like Glee because it makes me happy to watch it, and that’s all that matters.

I genuinely like the stupid story plots and the fact that in the grand scheme of things, Glee doesn’t really matter. But to me, it does. When I watch Glee, I can zone out of life and for those forty minutes, nothing matters other than what Journey song will they cover this week. And even though I still forget the difference between them, I honestly care if the New Directions win regionals and sectionals, or whichever order they’re meant to be in.

So then, what defines you? And do you belong to anything?

Belonging is very important as well. I belong to many things such as this newspaper you’re reading now, my tag rugby team with my friends, and a group of society castaways questing their way across Breland, one dugeon and dragon at a time.

In these groups of friends, shame is left at the door. I am wholly comfortable being who I am within these groups and don’t hide one bit of my personality. Not even the bit inside of me that would happily murder a child if it meant that the evil wizard Erik Mordheim wouldn’t be able to follow through with his mischievous plans.

Without trying to sound corny, even though I’ve re-read what I wrote and know that I’m doing a damn good job of it, I urge you all to belong. Find somewhere that you don’t have to hide your interests from the people around you. If you have to lie to fit in, then they’re not worth your friendship and that’s not where you belong.

Although it’s nice to poke fun at these silly things that define us and revel in a bit of self-deprecation, this “What defines you?” question is very important. And funnily enough Glee is full of great moral tales to back up my opinion that you should express your interests and be that person.

For instance, a young and unpopular Rachel Berry, eventual star of the Glee club, starts off in season one desperately trying to belong. She yearns to be popular, but more importantly special, and hits the nail on the head in saying, “Being a part of something special, makes you special.”

So, that’s where I am. I belong among the Gleeks. I wouldn’t mind enhancing what personally defines me past being “the Glee guy” and branch out into more musicals. I might dabble in a bit of Radiohead over the next few months just to balance out my music taste and start watching Homeland so that I can still renew my subscription to being a straight white man.

Then again, maybe I should just stick to my guns and be content that a friend went out of their way to spend fifty cents on me.

Read: Kill.i.an: Middle class trash